Quick Tidbits: Community Updates

New apprenticeship program at NRC offers entry to foodservice career

Emily Jeanne McFeat
Emily Jeanne McFeat

OH NO ? I love that mural

Tara Franzetti
Tara Franzetti

Noooo

Paul Granger
Paul Granger

That’s unfortunate about the Resource Center mural. As I remember it, a number of local teens helped pain it through Art180.

john m
john m

@Paul – yep, 13 years ago! https://chpn.net/2005/06/09/a-star-is-rising/

Elaine Odell
Elaine Odell

Very sad about the mural on the Family Resource Center. The art that took an entire summer to complete—thanks to the helping hands of many people—was destroyed in just a few hours last week.

That colorful, meaningful mural will be missed. Thank you to Art 180 and the talent professional artist who guided the project and worked tirelessly to bring beauty to our neighborhood.

Liz
Liz

Wow. The one on the Resource Center was eye-catching and a part of this neighborhood. Very sad that it has been painted over.

MP
MP

Might not be a popular opinion, but I’m glad both are gone. I feel like the mural trend is fading at the moment – I loved all the murals five years ago when it was trendy, but now cleaner surfaces seem more appealing. You get tired of all the garishness after awhile. Fun at first, but then just gets old. Design trends come and go!

Joshua
Joshua

I know, MP, right? So trendy! It’s not like murals have been around that long. Except maybe for the caves of Lascaux. Oh and Egyptian tombs, Pompeii and Minoan places. Oh yeah, the dry plaster of the Middle Ages, then wet plaster in Italy circa 1300. And the Mexican muralism art movement that took significant root in the 20th Century…Diego Rivera, David Siqueiros, and Jose Orozco. Pretty much everywhere around the world over thousands of years. Design trends come and go, I guess.

MP
MP

Um, Joshua – trust me, I know a lot about design history, thanks for the mansplaining. But in Richmond, yes, murals became trendy about five years ago. There were a few Ed Trask murals around and then after the Richmond Mural Project, murals EVERYWHERE. I.e. (which means “in other words in case you didn’t know) – trendy.

Liz
Liz

I don’t feel that there was anything “old” about this mural. It was vibrant and well-done. The fact that it was done by kids from our neighborhood boys and girls club made it all the more special.

Victoria Lynn Davis
Victoria Lynn Davis

I go in that store a lot…I’m definitely expressing my unhappiness over this. This city needs all the art and color it can get.

Brandon Powell
Brandon Powell

I noticed it was gone the other day driving up Venable

Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones

that was a precious work of art!

Candace Murda