Schools

Public hearing set on proposal to move George Mason, Franklin Military students

The School Board will hold a public hearing at George Mason Elementary School (813 North 28th Street) on Monday, July 31, 2017 at 6:00 PM to receive public comment on proposed options for pupil reassignment affecting George Mason Elementary School, Henderson Middle School, Richmond Community High School, and Franklin Military Academy.

Options up for discussion include:

1. Keep the students where they are
  2. Move the students to the Clark Springs building over winter break 2017 until a permanent decision can be made
  3. Move Mason to the Franklin building, and the Franklin students into the Community building
  4. Rezone the students into other adjacent elementary schools
  5. Move Franklin and Community to Henderson, Henderson to Community, and Mason to Franklin
  6. Move Franklin to Norrell, move Mason to Franklin
  7. Move the students to the Clark Springs building over winter break 2017 and then build a new school
  8. Purchase trailers for Mason

[sep]

Options for discussion (via @RVAdirt) – click to view larger

Chimborazo Graduation car parade celebration is this evening

Congratulations to the Class of 2020

Chelsea Harnish
Chelsea Harnish
2020 years ago

FB_10209205122057792

Alicia 'Vyborny' Svensen
Alicia 'Vyborny' Svensen
2020 years ago

FB_10209765126339251

Gretta
Gretta

This is obvious or am I missing something? Option 4 (rezone)? Students in safe building day 1 that is fairly close by, lowest cost, doesn’t mess with franklin/community students? The principal moves to woodville which has a vacancy? Am I missing something (mean this seriously)?

Rick Tatnall
Rick Tatnall

I just sent the email below with the subject line: Please DO NOT DISRUPT Franklin Military or Richmond Community Dear Ms. Page, Mr. Kranz and members of the Richmond School Board, I attended Monday night’s School Board meeting and have been following very closely your discussions about George Mason Elementary School. I am as concerned as anyone about the problems at George Mason and am personally aware of the gravity of the situation as I have spent several years volunteering and working at the school. While I am glad that there is finally measurable concern about the conditions at George… Read more »

Queen of Church Hill
Queen of Church Hill

I attended Community when it was at the Westhampton building. We had to share the building (which was falling apart) and buses with an elementary school for two years. It was a disservice to all the students. I agree with Mr. Tatnall and will also write against this. I hope that others will speak up too.

Naomi Graves
Naomi Graves

My son is a 2016 graduate of Franklin Military Academy an I feel the need to leave those students in their present building. Franklin and Community High needs their own buildings and not have to share with another school . When this meeting comes about I will gather as many parents and students (former and present )to come out .

Rhonda Russell-Tyler
Rhonda Russell-Tyler

They need to leave FMLA where it is! This is upsetting and I’ll definitely will be attending this meeting.

Kenyetta Carter
Kenyetta Carter

Greetings, I am a very proud parent of a Franklin Military Academy student. I agree with MS. Graves. Leave Franklin where it is. My daughter has been there since she was in the 6th grade. She has been thriving and has become an amazing student thanks to the excellent, caring & motivated teachers and staff members. I will also be bring other parents and concerned citizens with me to the meeting.

RPS Teacher
RPS Teacher

Greetings all, I am a proud teacher of RPS,George Mason Elementary School. I understand the disruption as we look at what is best for our GMES babies. However, if we want to see RPS grow as a district we must look at the waste in funds every year as well as the academics. Now, we all know that Franklin as well as Community are both great schools but are housed in facilities that are not being used to capacity. Both schools are not using half of what the schools were designed for. Fact, based on capacity both schools hold 750-850… Read more »

Jerell
Jerell

I attended Franklin when it was at Armstrong. Perhaps, Franklin should be housed in the Armstrong Building. It was like that for several years. It will save RPS a whole lot of planning and time. Instead of going all through the city.

Ashley H.
Ashley H.

I was thinking the same thing. Fraklin should be at Armstrong temporarily. George Mason will be moved to the Franklin Building. It will be easier for RPS to just stay within the East End schools.

Jasmine Barber (George Mason Parent - 1st and 5th grader)
Jasmine Barber (George Mason Parent - 1st and 5th grader)

Pre-K through 5th grade students should not have to be exposed to mold, asbestos, infestation of cockroaches and rats/mice, as well as improper heating and cooling. Enduring these circumstances sets our youth at a severe academic disadvantage and negativily impairs their psyche and emotional development. The school is not just the building, but the people. If the students of Franklin Military Academy and Community where enduring these horrendous circumstances, I am positive their parents would want them moved to a suitable building that is available so that their children would not have to spend one minute in a building with… Read more »