Crime Food

Someone stole the Patrick Henry Pub sandwich board

Police activity on 28th and R

Update: two victims on 900 block 31st

Hill Cafe armed robbery late Thursday night/early Friday morning

crd 10/20/2016 at 3:51 PM

@1 agreed. Totally stupid.

Lee 10/20/2016 at 4:17 PM

I’m always perplexed when someone steals something that they have no use for themselves and which has little or no resale value. Not that stealing in general is okay, but just seems incredibly stupid.

JG 10/21/2016 at 4:30 AM

@5 I think a lot of it has to do with simply possessing the item, so I doubt it will be found outside of the offender’s home. It’s a decoration now. Same reason my roommate stole the stop sign outside of our apartment in college.

dontmincewords 10/21/2016 at 7:38 AM

I picture the Seinfeld soup nazi saying “No blackened mahi for you.” Could just be a militant hiller who feels the sandwich board is tarnishing the historic aesthetic of the tragically uneven sidewalk.

War-GibFA 10/21/2016 at 4:39 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t sandwich boards actually not allowed (nor pretty much anything on the sidewalk, including flower pots in front of businesses) in Richmond by law?

Regardless, the thief clearly needs a life.

Rick Tatnall 10/21/2016 at 5:49 PM

@ War-GibFA – you are 100% correct. Richmond City Code prohibits any sign to be placed in the public right-of-way. The Code considers sandwich boards to be signs and defines sidewalks as public right-of-ways. Every restaurant sandwich board or sign you see on a sidewalk is an illegal sign, even if it is right outside the door of the restaurant. Same for the leasing signs for apartments and condos. The City’s Planning Department is responsible for enforcement and Director Mark Olinger has been aware of the problem for years, but says he does not have the money to enforce the City Code.

crd 10/21/2016 at 7:10 PM

@9 I asked someone at the city about that, and they said they really are not supposed to be there, but the city does not enforce that unless someone calls, complains, and seems to have a legit gripe. Go figure. i agree, thief needs to get a life. Incredibly stupid prank.

Dubois2 10/22/2016 at 9:35 AM

@#11 thanks for posting a description of the city’s thoughts on enforcement re sandwich boards.
Their position — on this small issue– seems like reasonable and good policy.
And of all of the parts of city code that I would like to see enforced in a more muscular way…… The sandwich board roundup does not make the list.