Community

Your feedback wanted on improving the streetlights

A neighbor wants your feedback on this:

I think the time has come to make some minimal, but important improvements to some of the street lights in the neighborhood. I could be in the minority here, but I find that the amount of spillover light into surrounding properties, backyards, bedrooms, etc. is excessive!

I think if the neighborhood organized itself, we could petition Dominion to install directional shields (see attached image for an example) on many of the streetlights that are in our alleys and streets so that they illuminate our sidewalks and streets but not the full interior of our houses.

There are some obvious safety concerns that would need to be considered, but I think most of that could be addressed by less intrusive lighting fixtures installed by individual homeowners such as motion sensor lights or front/back porch lights.

Noisy Neighbors (and Nameless Communities)

Do you know anything about the old Garnett Print Shop?

John M

Help for Christmas?

John M

FormerLibbyHillResident
FormerLibbyHillResident

The lights are installed and owned by the City, not Dominion.

We’ve requested and had shields installed on street lights before. You and your neighbors just have to ask.

It’s been years since I made a request, but it is the same group (Public Utilities?) that installs the lights.

David Conmy
David Conmy

David Conmy liked this on Facebook.

Tess
Tess

Ha. I was just saying the other day that the bright, brash, yellow glow that encompasses my entire block all night, every night, is my least favorite thing about my location. It’d be great if the stuff would point down to the ground, not into our upstairs windows. Thanks for the info, #2! I’m going to work with my neighbors on this.

Here’s a thing I came across a few years ago about light pollution: http://www.darkskiesawareness.org/faq-what-is-lp.php

morgan
morgan

wont putting the shields on them only direct light to the street? since the lights are over the street? and not light the sidewalk as well?

Spacecat
Spacecat

The city can install shields and lower wattage bulbs to decrease overly bright street lights. In my experience they’ve been very receptive to those affected by the glare.

Neighbor
Neighbor

The risk I see with this is far too few of our neighbors turn on their porch lights at night. Some streets with a good tree civer are quite dark, especially when the power goes out to the street lights a few times a year. Light deters crime, so I think we should be cautious about reducing the light.

Cadeho
Cadeho

The more light the merrier. I’m sorry, but if you live where I do, the light scares away cockroaches who love the dark. I can’t imagine why there aren’t more and brighter lights. I would rather see the lights turn into bright LED than limiting light. You want darkness, move to the county.

Kevin
Kevin

I’m with 6 & 7. Sufficient and broad lighting is a key element of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) and I would say many sidewalks, alleys and fronts of properties are underlit compared to other cities I’ve lived in and this has a significant impact on safety as it descredes the perception of “eyes on the streets” (from neighbors and surrounding buildings). I agree that at the same time a few of the lights could be toned down (bad hue, almost jarring light/intensity, but we just put blinds/curtains in most of our windows to resolve any unpleasant glare spilling… Read more »

cpandmg
cpandmg

OMG, are you for real? It would never occur to me that anyone other than myself would be responsible for dealing with said problem. Room darkening blinds. Roman shades. Shutters. Curtains. Tarp. A BB gun. Maybe it’s time to go back to the burbs.

Ron
Ron

I am with #’s 6,7&8 we should leave the lights alone. In my opinion, we could have more lighting because in the summer when the trees are full of leaves it is quite dark on the street. Being a person who has been robbed at gun point, I say the more, the better. Window treatments are on the windows and closed at night. #9 I say if you are unhappy with the city having lights, move to the suburbs, if you like dark neighborhoods you’ll be in Heaven out there. Maybe you are the only one who sees it as… Read more »

Ron
Ron

#9, reading your post again I am not certain if you agree with the light situation staying the same or if you are suggesting we move to the burbs. Therefore, if you agree with keeping the lights and think window treatments are the solution, I apologize.

Steve
Steve

A glaring street light can possibly reduce ones vision. When shields are added to street lights the amount of light is not reduced, it simply changes the direction in which it goes. Visit the International Dark-Sky Association website for a good explanation as to why shielding lights can actually be beneficial in crime prevention. http://www.darksky.org.

dontmincewords
dontmincewords

I think #9 is on the same page as you Ron. Unless this is movie premier/airport landing strip bright lights, I think we have bigger battles to fight. This annoyance can be combatted with $50 room darkening curtains from BBB. I’d rather see DPW or Dominion put up more street lights and neighbors spring for LEDs or CFLs and keep their porch lights on. When walking in CH & UH, I see more dark blocks than I do bright ones.

morgan
morgan

again, wont it move the light away from the sidewalk? making it less safe for pedestrians? the lights are already directly over the STREET, not the sidewalk. i’m with all other commentators, as unattractive as they are, the more light the better. until a solution can be met that simultaneously lights the sidewalk as well, i don’t think light shields are a good answer.

cpandmg
cpandmg

Yes, leave the lights alone. Residents can employ any of multiple options to darken rooms in their homes.

frank p
frank p

The shades don’t create unsafe or less lit situations when used correctly – they put light were its needed and keeps it from spilling where its unneeded. Making the existing lights more effective, efficient. Every light should be directed where it’s needed, this seems really obvious to me.

Steve
Steve

#16, Well said. I couldn’t agree more.