“We put to CAR a design that was like a mullet”

05/18/2016 7:43 AM by

Jason Tesauro’s next installment following getting a new house built at the end of Broad Street is now up at Richmond Magazine:

From the outset, we knew that our front facade and roofline would be the big issues since our rear facade is shielded from public view and thus out of the commission’s jurisdiction. CAR wants new construction to blend in, but it doesn’t want faux old designs that mimic historic homes. Likewise, it doesn’t want non sequiturs that undermine integrity and visual flow (see entry under “McMansion among row houses.”) With our architects, we put to CAR a design that was like a mullet: All business in the front and a party in the back. But, like the mullet, it failed. CAR sent us back to the drawing board to address issues with the roofline, front porch, basement and windows.


  1. Follow along as Amy and Jason Tesauro build a 15-wide dream house on Broad Street

TAGGED: , , ,



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By commenting you are agreeing to this site's PRIVACY / USE / COPYRIGHT / DISCLAIMER