Billups traces its beginnings to 1850 when Lafayette Washington Billups, a master carpenter, became a Richmond casket maker operating at 1506 E. Main St. In 1925 the family business moved to a handsome, three-story, Italianate building at the prominent intersection of East Marshall and 25th streets in Church Hill (architect unknown).
In 1928 architect Marcellus Wright was engaged to essentially double the size of this building by extending it eastward. He designed the broad– almost theatrical– facade we see today.
— ∮∮∮ —