Pets

Dogs Off Leash Reminder

Picture: Dog on Leash

A concern raised on NextDoor:

Hi neighbors! Sadly – when walking my dog recently I’ve seen a lot of owners walking their dogs off leash. It’s great if your pup is trained enough to stay near by when off leash – but I think we can all agree neighborhood walks might not be the best time to do this. Dogs are still dogs and may still harm another animal when off leash! I always either scoop my pup up or have to change my route fast so we don’t have any interaction. Has anyone else noticed this issue?!

As an FYI, here are the laws in regards to off leash pups in Richmond.

Leash your dog! Sec. 4-243.

The free roaming of dogs is prohibited. All dogs must be kept under restraint or confined in an enclosure. Dogs must be walked on a leash when off the owner’s property. The City of Richmond leash law does not apply to cats.

Have you seen Tota? Update

Emergency Resources for Feeding/Caring for Pets and Strays

Kiet Vo

Little Dog Lost in Fulton

Johnathan
Johnathan
6 months ago

This comment from Steve is the problem, “Reasonable people can revise rigorous rules.” Yes the rules can be rives if the community organizes and petitions city council to do so. Ignoring the rules because certain people think they are rigorous or unnecessary is why we have problems. If your dog approaches me, it is of no consequence that you yell across the field, “He’s friendly!”. If your dog is off the leash and run at me I assure you that I will respond by either macing your animal or shooting him to eliminate the threat based on my perception to… Read more »

Lauren Marie Rodgers
Lauren Marie Rodgers
6 months ago

there are a lot of offenders of this in the neighborhood..

Kathi Sanders
Kathi Sanders
6 months ago

Lori Ann
Lori Ann
6 months ago

Thank you!

Maritza Mercado Pechin
Maritza Mercado Pechin
6 months ago

Thank you! When we lived near Chimborazo, we’d often come across off leash dogs. The dog would come running at us at full speed with the owner 20-30 yards away yelling “he/she is friendly!!!” I fully believe that those dogs were friendly dogs but what the owners never recognized (and couldn’t know) is that my mother and my two small children do not like dogs at all. My kids would often get completely terrified by the dog charging at them full speed and often, said dog would jump on us. So, sure, your dog is friendly. But dog owners should… Read more »

Kathi Sanders
Kathi Sanders
6 months ago

Maybe we should also talk about free-roaming geese??!! Back in the day (I guess I’ve been in CH for that long now!), the topic of off-lead dogs would have become a complete shit show in less than 30 minutes.

Victoria
Victoria
6 months ago

What was the last time someone was attacked at Chimborazo park by a vicious dog off leash?

Lauren
Lauren
6 months ago

I had this happen to me at Chimbo the other week. My dog (who is leash reactive/aggressive) was rolling in the grass when a dog came charging at him-unknowingly. The owner was about 30 feet yelling “he’s friendly!”. Of course my dog jumps up, caught off guard & then starts growling and she is looking at me like I’m the bad person here as she & her dog walk away. Be a responsible dog owner. Not all dogs love other dogs nor people. Be courteous to other dog owners. We share the same space, so be please be respectful.

Stevo
Stevo
6 months ago

I am not a “dog person” but I get it: dog owners would like to let their dogs off leash. And they should be able to do this, so it is just a matter of deciding where is best. The Chimbo Bark Park is a good spot, including the upper area (past the end of the cobble stone). Also, Libby Hill Park — the lower section just above main street. I regularly run in both these places, but when I see dogs off leash, I just switch directions. No big deal. (And PLEASE, do not cite the City regs. Reasonable… Read more »

jean mcdaniel
jean mcdaniel
4 months ago

Sharon, As far as I know I am the only person who has pet geese in Church Hill and they have NEVER roamed free. What is your point?