The streets of old Fulton

Photographs of old Fulton, first posted in 2010, got passed around again recently prompting a reader to send in this amazing set of undated photos of old Fulton. It’s still difficult to comprehend that an entire neighborhood was completely wiped off of the map.

Free kids meal at Ms.Girlee’s Kitchen

East End Theater (1938)

Victim identified in Fulton homicide

utensilitis
utensilitis

Fascinating! not a trace of this neighborhood left? “@chpn: The streets of old Fulton http://t.co/WG9QUsMe #rva”

Lucky Canine
Lucky Canine

Every time I hear the story of old Fulton it makes me sad.

myk
myk

John, I love your historical articles. Thanks for posting. Keep up the good work.

Dear Neighbor
Dear Neighbor

The trees and clean sidewalks look better than parts of church hill and union hill today

c
c

Just saw this article about Fulton Bottom. 900 families, wow.

Pete Hubbel
Pete Hubbel

Wow. What people would pay today for that sense of history & place…

When will we learn that large gov’t projects (e.g. Urban Renewal) often do greater harm than good ?!?

Houdon
Houdon

@Dear Neighbor: I was thinking the same thing myself. I’m ready to get back on the sidewalk and street tree crusade. Another dear neighbor (perhaps you) reminded me of the Love Your Block grants that would be perfect for this purpose. They are due April 21st!

Lora
Lora

@Houdon, I just saw the announcement for the Love Your Block grants, and agree that a sidewalk/street tree project would be great.

crd
crd

Lora and Houdon, I read the application guidelines. You need a minimum of 25 people, non-related, with a proven record of working together; they need to all live in the same council district; group does not need to be a non-profit (501c3) and I can’t remember a whole lot of other restrictions. I’d think that the Union Hill folks would have a really good chance of getting a grant – you’ve worked on the park and other projects – best of luck to you! I’ll look forward to hearing that your application won!

elaine odell
elaine odell

@ 7, 8, 9, the “Love your block” grants have rolling deadlines. The first is 4/21/2012, the others are 6/15/12 and 10/15/12.

Cadeho
Cadeho

I have tried to find the locations of these pictures and most of them I have found. Two of them I cannot figure out, pictures Fulton-06 and Fulton-08. If anyone has any idea where they were, please let me know. I think I have an idea but I am very unsure.

Lucky Canine
Lucky Canine

Does anyone know where I could find old pics of church hill? I am very curious to see street scapes up around chimbo. I am very curious about the houses that were torn down on our street. Would love to see what it looked like before.

Cadeho
Cadeho

I think I’m going to try to do a before and after… if I am able…

Gene McCabe (Rocketts)
Gene McCabe (Rocketts)

Cadeho, don’t know if you remember from the other site, but as you know my great-grandfather had two business in Fulton..Plus I have some pictures from a railroad man one is of the round house. I love the map you put on here I’m got to go the library to get copies of it..Rocketts

Gene McCabe (Rocketts)
Gene McCabe (Rocketts)

Cadeho, contact me thru Facebook Gene McCabe..Thanks hope to here from you..Rocketts

MzNeisha LoveHurts Irby
MzNeisha LoveHurts Irby

MzNeisha LoveHurts Irby liked this on Facebook.