Margaret Freund’s Fulton Hill Properties is moving to redevelop the old Chimborazo Elementary School at Marshall and 33rd Streets into the Chimborazo Apartments.
The proposed design (PDF) will put 55 apartments (with 12 parking spaces) into the building.
Chimborazo School opened in September 1905, with grades 1-7 in eight classrooms; the 1903-04 annual report includes a sketch of the building. It was considered to be handsome and well arranged, embodying the most advanced ideas in sanitation, heating, ventilation, seating, and school architecture.
In 1911, an annex was opened (classrooms and auditorium) to accommodate the growing population. Chimborazo’s enrollment declined in the 1950s with Church Hill’s change to a Negro community. In February 1957, the white pupils were transferred to Nathaniel Bacon, and Chimborazo was converted to a Negro school with pupils transferred from Bellevue, Bowler, and George Mason.
When the new Chimborazo opened in September 1968, the old building housed the Church Hill Opportunity Center (1968-1970) and an annex of East End Middle School (1970-72). It was leased to Model Neighborhoods in 1972. Old Chimborazo was declared surplus to the City, October 18, 1973. It has been privately rehabilitated as housing for the elderly (Chimborazo Manor).
Photo at top of 310 North 33rd Street circa 1999 via the Richmond Commission of Architectural Review Slide Collection at the VCU Libraries Digital Collections.
TAGGED: 310 North 33rd Street, 33rd Street, Chimborazo Apartments, Freund, Fulton Hill Properties, Marshall Street, Oakwood-Chimborazo