List of streets that might be named after Confederates

Wyatt Gordon, Josh Mallow, and Adam Lockett have put together a map / list of streets in Richmond that are possibly named after Confederates, including Carrington Street, Venable Street, Littlepage Street, Bryan Street, Ford Avenue, Rogers Street, among others.

From Gordon: “Together [we] identified 240 streets named after Confederates in #RVA. That’s 143 miles of racist roadways that need to change. If we switch 10% a year, we’ll be done in a decade”

We’ve got it that Mosby Street was named after a developer, not the Civil War guy. Y’all know anything else about the others?

Cadeho 06/17/2020 at 3:49 PM

A lot of the streets on this map are not named for Confederates. A lot of them existed long before the Civil War. I need to review my maps and I will get back to whomever I need.

The U.....nion Hill 06/17/2020 at 4:59 PM

The statues are racist, the buildings are racist, the streets are racist, the river is racist, the sewer system is racist, a bird that flew over my house the other day was racist!

Church Hill People's News 06/17/2020 at 5:07 PM

Are you ok there? You seem a bit triggered. We suggest you check out the book “White Fragility: Why it’s so hard for White People to talk about racism” by Robin DiAngelo.

The U.....nion Hill 06/17/2020 at 9:15 PM

Triggered? Nope. My post was making fun of how ridiculous this article was.

But let’s get this straight. For the past 2.5 weeks I have watched my city get burned, looted and vandalized on a nightly basis. All the while these actions have been essentially excused in the “fight against white supremacy” with “peaceful protests” and you suggest I read a white guilt book. Yeah, I’ll get right on that.

Church Hill People's News 06/17/2020 at 11:37 PM

Right, and POC and black folks have been oppressed for years, brutally sometimes. And you continuously undermine all of these talking points with mockery and refusing to look at the harm that the symbolism of these Confederate symbols create in our society. Your covert aggression is palpable.

Sonny 06/18/2020 at 1:52 PM

A quick google search shows Carrington is a family that fought in revoluntionary war alongside George Washington and was present at the ‘Give me Liberty or Give me Death’ speech.

I think we need to take step back before defining streets as ‘Confederate’ streets. Virginia was in the confederacy. George Washington had slaves. This is horrible that he did. But where do we draw the line? More research is needed before saying the street is a Confederate street. I’m sure there are a lot on this list that need to be removed. More research needed before ultimatum. We are working to update Carrington street (three years and counting). There are opportunities for a statue(s) on this street.