Food

For Sale: Poe’s Pub

RVA Hub and Richmond BizSense report:

Church Hill and Shockoe regulars are likely pooling their money and thinking of taking out another mortgage as news that Poe’s Pub is officially on the market. The bar sits on the edge of Shockoe Bottom at the foot of Libby Hill. The weekends are backed with regulars that come for the solid food, drinks, and live music. The pub has been in operation since 1994.
Richard Hayes- RVA Hub

Richmond BizSense:

(Michael) Britt has put his Poe’s Pub up for sale for $1.2 million.

He said he’s not closing the longtime bar and restaurant at 2706 E. Main St. and that he’s just listed it speculatively. The deal includes the business and the real estate.

“My options are open at this point,” Britt said. “Whether I want to sell the whole property, or sell the business, I’m just trying to figure out what to do.”

What do you think folks? Do you frequent Poe’s Pub?

This week’s calendar

Area bartender in need after hit and run this past Sunday

John M

Children’s Ball at Poe’s Pub this Friday

John M

Tommy Joe Bednar
Tommy Joe Bednar
8 months ago

Stephanie Hunter

Raidah Ziadeh Hudson
Raidah Ziadeh Hudson
8 months ago

Such a nice family

Michael Nesossis
Michael Nesossis
8 months ago

Man I hope Poe’s doesn’t go away.

Lauren Balkus
Lauren Balkus
8 months ago

Amanda O’Neill

Adriana R Zamudio Rountree
Adriana R Zamudio Rountree
8 months ago

No! I know this a hard business
We are trying to stay afloat! But it is hard!Doesn’t matter how good the food is people patronize big restaurant chains instead of family owned business I love the Food from Poe’s the beef tips and lasagna
Mmm!

Adriana R Zamudio Rountree
Adriana R Zamudio Rountree
8 months ago

I hope Poe’s stay open I will do my best to Patronize them

Althea Hinds-Catlett
Althea Hinds-Catlett
8 months ago

I’ve been meaning to go there, for the longest time.

Sean J.
Sean J.
7 months ago

Whilst I understand that change happens and things evolve I am still saddened by this news. I have been visiting Poe’s off and on since June of 1994. When I lived up on the Hill in the Nineties I was a regular there. Mike Britt is a great guy and a great friend. I have over twenty-five years of wonderful memories which the Poe’s family have given me. The drinks have always been affordable and the food has always been top-notch. From the Saturday night Bluegrass in the early days to the more eclectic band days when Chuck Wren was… Read more »

Kiet Vo
Kiet Vo
7 months ago
Reply to  Sean J.

Agreed. I’ve only been there once but I enjoyed the atmosphere. Wish I went more, especially now that this news broke out.

Liz
Liz
7 months ago

Wow Kelly what a bold and potentially slanderous comment. Not appropriate for this neighborhood forum.

Jodi Roberts
Jodi Roberts
7 months ago

Kelly Willis you do not know what you are talking about.

Jonathan L Holljes
Jonathan L Holljes
5 months ago

I have known Mike since before Poe’s Pub when he lived next door out in Woodlake. Mike hates my classification but I call Poe’sPub a 5 star 3 star which is my favorite of all places. I like Bookbinders and Shagbark too but a meal and a bar bill there require a home equity line of credit. I much rather go to Poe’s where the food is so good and all of it prepared like you were eating at you favorite grandmother’s for dinner. The crowd is colorful, diverse and interesting. The staff is friendly and comfortable enough to be… Read more »