Happy Holidays everyone!
I’m happy to report that DPW (Department of Public Works) and DPU (Department of Public Utilities) will be holding a recycling and disposal event on January 11th.
WHO: Richmond residential collection and disposal only. This event is NOT for commercial or business disposal.
WHEN: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
WHERE: Corner of Arthur Ashe Blvd & Robin Hood Rd.
- Shredding : up to 5 boxes or 5 paper bags of PERSONAL documents including: Taxes, bank statements, cancelled checks, credit card statements and receipts, financial accounts, medical records, and insurance documents. We cannot accept: COMMERCIAL BUSINESS documents, X Rays, cardboard, plastic bags, metal, batteries, CDs, notebooks, binders, or bags of previously shredded papers.
- Electronics recycling: (cash or check – no card)
- The electronics recycling fees are as follows:
- Hard drive – cellphone tablet shred $5
- CRT monitor $17
- CRT television $28 (more than 27″)
- CRT television $23 (equal to or fewer than 27″)
- Projection television $23
- LCD monitor $6
- LCD television $14
- Printer $5 (more than 25 lbs.) Printer $2 (fewer than 25 lbs.)
- No fees: Computer accessories (cables, wires, keyboards, mice, speakers, etc.). VCRs, camcorders, stereos and all phones. CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHT STRINGS!
- Hazardous Household Wastes:
- Pesticides, Herbicides and Oil-based Paints in original containers.
- Small Recycle Tubs
- Clean up and drop off your old curbside recycling bins for reuse in the schools.
This free event is only available to City of Richmond residents – proof of residency is required.
Send questions about chipping, shredding, electronics and small tubs to
Darlene.Mallory@richmondgov.com or 804-646-8325.
Send questions about hazardous household waste to:
Jennifer.Clarke@richmondgov.com or call 804-646-8131.
|WHAT TO DO WITH THE REST OF YOUR STUFF???****** ******|
Household batteries: Rechargeable and non-rechargeable, alkaline, lithium, auto, AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt
Where: AERC Recycling 3301 Rosedale Avenue, Richmond
When: 2nd Friday of each month: 9:00am – 3:00pm Fee: $0.75 a pound
Discarded tires or illegal dumping decorating your alley, neighborhood or roadsides?
To have abandoned tires and other illegally dumped items removed, call 311 and report the specific location for pick up.
Disposing of Old Paint, Hazardous Waste and Tires at East Richmond Road Landfill
This service is free to Richmond residents who provide proof of residency, such as a valid driver’s license, utility bill or vehicle registration. The City’s Department of Public Works’ staff will assist residents with unloading and disposal of their waste materials.
The facility cannot accept fire extinguishers, asbestos, road flares, herbicides or pesticides, explosives or materials that are shock-sensitive, radioactive or infectious or waste items from commercial entities.
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Directions: The East Richmond Road Landfill is at 3800 E. Richmond Rd. Take I-64 East from Richmond. Exit at 193B and turn right onto Nine Mile Road. Before the second traffic light, turn right onto Evergreen Road (which becomes Stony Run Parkway). Then turn right onto East Richmond Road. Immediately look for landfill signage on the left.
Household hazardous waste items accepted at the facility include:
Solvents: mineral spirits, paint thinner, turpentine, acetone
Car fluids: motor oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze
Paints (20 gallons per month/per household limit): oil or latex, polyurethane, tung oil, stains, varnish, shellac,tints, lacquer thinner, paint reducers, primers, varsol
Car batteries – lead acid batteries only
Fuels: gasoline, gasoline additives, #2 fuel oil, kerosene, diesel, chain saw fuel, motor boat fuel, oil additives
Tires with no rims, free with a limit of 4. No off-road or oversized tires taken. Southside Transfer Center and East Richmond Road Landfill. Costs are as follows: $1 each for more than four passenger tires with DEQ permit
$5 each for tractor-trailer tires with DEQ permit
|For questions call: Customer Care3-1-1 or 804-646-7000|
For online service requests :
click RVA One (upper right corner)Check out the
for guidelines to
recycle other items: