Community

What’s Happening at Patrick Henry Park?

There seems to be some pruning going on at Patrick Henry Park

Eva asks on FB:

Does anyone know what’s happening to the giant trees being cut down in Patrick Henry Park?
I called the city and they sounded confused as to why it was happening, and said they were sending someone to investigate.

The Urban Forestry Division is part of the Department of Public Works. We are reaching out for an update.

Church Hill Greening

Guest Contributor

Where do we need shade? Mapping Urban Heat Islands in Richmond City streets

Vanessa

History of Church Hill Walking Tour- this Saturday is the first of many!

Teresa Nieding Carrel
Teresa Nieding Carrel

Martha McConnell Looney
Martha McConnell Looney

Also following

David Conmy
David Conmy
8 months ago

Over the last couple of months as I’ve walked through there, I’ve noticed that several of the trees were in rough shape. I don’t know for sure, but my guess is that they’re being taken down because the trees are dying and/or diseased.

David Seibert
David Seibert
8 months ago

I just wish this park was useable. I work directly next to it and in a given week I see about 2 people use the park for anything. I mean I get it. Richmond Hill and Jefferson Hill are like 2 blocks away so this park is not making a high value proposition.

Richard Borean
Richard Borean
8 months ago

I really hope they don’t cut the rest of the trees down! It’s my favorite nature nook in Church Hill!

Liv Glavé
Liv Glavé
8 months ago

Hmmmm maybe they are redesigning the park? Making it safer? Guessing…

Karen
Karen
8 months ago

I read somewhere (NextDoor maybe? really can’t remember) that there are some trees that are diseased and need to come down. If I can find my source, I will share!

Meriwether Broaddus
Meriwether Broaddus
8 months ago

The city Arborist for Church Hill is Michael Staton. To direct questions to him email Michael.Staton@richmondgov.com.

Kay
Kay
8 months ago

Please don’t make the suggestion that your perception that this parking isn’t being used is a good reason to plant another hideous structure in its place. We have enough god awful new construction around here…

Eva
Eva
8 months ago

Update: The wonderful (and very fast to respond!) director of the Richmond City parks department just called to inform me that the trees are being removed (by the dept of Urban Forestry) due to injuries they sustained from “unauthorized pruning” that happened about a year ago by a private company.

Apparently there is an active investigation regarding the pruning that caused the ultimate death of these trees.

How sad.

Beekeeper
Beekeeper
8 months ago

Pollinators frequented these trees when in bloom, much more than “pruning”, more like desecration of a crucial link in our local biology. Irresponsible actions with no consequences to the perpetrators, devastating to the environment. I would like to know who, why.

Eva Tiner Skillman
Eva Tiner Skillman
8 months ago

Update: the director of Richmond City parks called today to inform me that the Department of Urban Forestry has had to remove the trees (including a whole row of holly trees) because of improper pruning that happened last year by a private company.
She also mentioned that they were looking into the possibility of legal recourse.

So there’s that.