Community

Hate and Intolerance Bring the Neighborhood together

In what was a quick show of solidarity through the Church Hill Neighborhood Facebook group, neighbors banded together to quickly communicate and come up with a plan of action to clean the Nazi SS symbol. This was first found by Arielle G. on her morning run and then pictures were uploaded not hours later by Michael B.

Please see the photos below:

First they came for the Communists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Communist
Then they came for the Socialists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Socialist
Then they came for the trade unionists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist
Then they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew
Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

First They Came by Pastor Martin Niemoller

Thank you to all of you who acted quickly in the face of intolerance. It matters.

Bark in the Park! 2019 Richmond Dog Festival in Chimborazo Park, Saturday 9/21

Megan Rickman-Blackwood

InLight Richmond 2019 at Chimborazo Park!

Reminder – Chimborazo Park Clean up this Saturday

Vanessa

Paul Allen
Paul Allen 09/11/2019 at 5:13 PM

Bet it’s a fake.

Vic Rejuney
Vic Rejuney 09/11/2019 at 5:55 PM

Ask a doctor if literally dying is right for you.

Paul Allen
Paul Allen 09/11/2019 at 6:04 PM

Vic Rejuney you’re a real simpleton. Why not be a real man and wait for the facts to come out before making judgment? I can only only assume you’re the perp given your adamant stance on its validity. That or you’re just extremely naive. How many times have we heard about this #fakenews before we then found out it was a total hoax? My bet is: it was “Simple Vic,” with the spray paint, in Chimborazo.

Paul Allen
Paul Allen 09/11/2019 at 6:05 PM

Vic Rejuney such a buffoon…

Pete Cartwright
Pete Cartwright 09/11/2019 at 6:23 PM

what facts would be coming out here?

Tom Harrahy
Tom Harrahy 09/11/2019 at 5:28 PM

Am I missing something? I don’t see a swastika in these photos.

Tom Harrahy
Tom Harrahy 09/11/2019 at 5:43 PM

Church Hill People’s News I’m aware of the SS symbol. That is not a swastika. Just be accurate.

Church Hill People
Church Hill People's News 09/11/2019 at 5:56 PM

Tom thanks for the correction!

Michael Nesossis
Michael Nesossis 09/11/2019 at 7:25 PM

The SS was in another photo that Michael Brown took time today to start cleaning.

Jesse Booth
Jesse Booth 09/12/2019 at 1:09 PM

Church Hill People’s News no, your whole premise is incorrect. That’s obvious Hispanic gang graffiti, it just sort of looks like a German army unit symbol from the 40s that no modern neo nazi would use without the more obvious swastika present. People see what they want to see.

Kate Barnes
Kate Barnes 09/11/2019 at 5:31 PM

Ironically I was blocked from that group bc I called the people in it out for racist behavior. ? People surprise you every day.

Sabrina Sunshine
Sabrina Sunshine 09/11/2019 at 7:20 PM

Glad I clicked on the link because I saw S.S. VA and thought “hey, it’s me!” as my initials are S.S. and I do rep VA ??????

(That being said I don’t condone defacing anyone’s property. Just to make that clear.)

Jesse Booth
Jesse Booth 09/11/2019 at 8:02 PM

I deal with gang issues as part of my employment. Hate to break it to yall but that’s not neo-nazi symbology folks.. that’s almost surely your local Surenos13 gang from Southside. The xiii and use of the x in 80X=804 are your indicators in addition to the comparable type of art flourishing along the Jeff Davis to Hull street corridor.

Katherine Jester
Katherine Jester 09/11/2019 at 10:27 PM

Jesse I might stop short of calling this “Art” but thanks for bringing this down to the ground. A previous poster sought swastikas and anti semitic language to justify a racism claim and I agree- I doubt these morons ever heard of Judaism let alone Hitler and would piss themselves if they saw a skinhead. Still, many thanks to everyone who got out there and scrubbed.

Charlie Barnes
Charlie Barnes 09/11/2019 at 10:21 PM

Guys, clean it and move on quietly.
By making such a big deal about it, you are giving the mom’s basement dwelling toad what he wants: notoriety.

This isn’t a white supremacist group, it is a sad outcast boy or two.

Felix D Nite
Felix D Nite 09/12/2019 at 10:32 AM

Ah Richmond… Racist as ever.