Community

Street Cleaning Underway

Folks,

The streets are currently being cleaned by the City of Richmond and there’s been reports that cars are being towed left and right. The residential street sweeping was supposed to start on 7/29 but it’s happening as we type this post.

Here is the street map for Church Hill: http://www.richmondgov.com/PublicWorks/documents/mapRoute2.pdf

If you have been towed, contact:

Siebert’s Towing
   642 W. Southside Plaza
   Richmond, VA 23224
   Phone: (804)233-5757
   Web: www.seibertcos.com

From a personal experience, I was so upset last year when my car got towed that I forgot my wallet when I got to Siebert’s. Be sure to bring your driver’s license with you!

Parking/Towing for Disabled Vehicles

Effective immediately DPW Street Cleaning and Vacuum Leaf Program services do not accept requests to not tow disabled cars.

If your vehicle is disabled and parked on the street, you need to contact the Richmond Police Department at(804)646-1343. Please keep in mind disabled vehicles should not be parked on City of Richmond streets during street cleaning or vacuum leaf collection. Once signage is posted, all vehicles, even those that are disabled, must be moved before street cleaning so as to not receive a parking ticket and towing fees.

Signage

The Richmond Police Department issues parking violations and tows cars. DPW Street Cleaning posts the no parking signs at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled service. The Police will not tow if the signs are not in compliance. The Department of Public Works Street Cleaning Division cannot authorize parking ticket refunds or towing fee refunds.

Libby Hill Yard Sale This Saturday!!!

CHPN

Hillians Art League Exhibits Paintings at Richmond Public Library East End for artoberVA

CHPN

Emily Klinedinst
Emily Klinedinst 07/25/2019 at 11:49 AM

Oh yeah they were towing about 4 AM the other day in Peter Paul. There had been signs up for days, though.

Nathan Madison
Nathan Madison 07/25/2019 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, I saw them further down Broad, heading west, near the former Capt. Buzzys, yesterday. They already did the area around Chimborazo a few weeks back, so I’d guess they start there and head west, which I’d imagine means they’d be done before, or right about, the original, projected start date.

Andrew Cheatham
Andrew Cheatham 07/25/2019 at 12:07 PM

I find it strange the city has money to do the sweeping, but they’re sweeping streets covered on potholes. Couldn’t we take those hours and funds and actually re-pave a few streets?!

Chris Dosier
Chris Dosier 07/25/2019 at 12:09 PM

They came through Union Hill this week. You couldn’t actually tell the streets were ‘cleaned’ after. There wais still a bunch of junk lodged against the curbs on my block. Neighbor told me they were flying through. I am guessing this was just to get tow money.

Alea Jayne Bushardt
Alea Jayne Bushardt 07/25/2019 at 12:48 PM

Saw these signs literally twice in one month on my street like they didn’t even clean the first time

Chris Dosier
Chris Dosier 07/25/2019 at 12:52 PM

Alea Jayne Bushardt yeah they did the same thing on my street last summer I think. Posted signs, didn’t come through at all, took the signs down, then posted them again a month later. They actually cleaned the streets the 2nd time though.

Meghanne Ogburn
Meghanne Ogburn 07/25/2019 at 12:25 PM

48 hours is zero amount of time for notification. Had to break into a neighbors house who we knew were on vacation to move their car for them earlier this week bc they were visiting family in Arizona and left before signs were posted. Should be at least a weeks notice.

Nicholas V. Roberts
Nicholas V. Roberts 07/25/2019 at 12:34 PM

That sucks! before I had off street parking this was a huge part of my anxiety about going anywhere for more than a couple days I wouldn’t go anywhere.

Tim Pickney
Tim Pickney 07/25/2019 at 12:26 PM

It seems only the towing companies are benefiting from the street cleanings.

Chris Harnish
Chris Harnish 07/25/2019 at 8:35 PM

As towing companies often do!

Nicholas V. Roberts
Nicholas V. Roberts 07/25/2019 at 12:35 PM

What are they cleaning in the middle of summer? Haven’t all the deluges cleaned the street?

Chris Dosier
Chris Dosier 07/25/2019 at 12:56 PM

Ehh, I still have a few blighted houses near me and the curbs have weeds grow which traps alot of trash that people throw on sidewalks unfortunately. Plastic bottles, napkins, plastic bags, etc. This traps alot of junk. I won’t complain about them wanting to come through, but wish they would actually clean the street if they are saying they are going to. Usually in the Fall they don’t come through until really late when all the leaves have already clogged the drains.

Nicholas V. Roberts
Nicholas V. Roberts 07/25/2019 at 1:08 PM

thats a good point. I’m in a bubble. My neighbors and I clean up the the crap around the one abandoned house in the area and everybody keeps their curbs clean the best they can.

Zach Morrison
Zach Morrison 07/25/2019 at 12:48 PM

Far from the first time I’ve seen the city pull this nonsense…

Telly Keys
Telly Keys 07/25/2019 at 1:03 PM

Shavon Cherry…not just you.

Elise Elder
Elise Elder 07/25/2019 at 1:21 PM

The city swept my street awhile back. They crashed into all of the trees leaving huge branches hanging in the street. Thankfully another neighbor is part of some tree committee so he cut down the branches. The city hasn’t bothered to pick up the branches. Recommendations?

Tess Dixon
Tess Dixon 07/27/2019 at 12:20 PM

Ugh. They’re like bulls in a china shop. I do have a recommendation though: go to https://www.rva311.com/rvaone/requests/allservices and request that they come pick up the branches. I did this when a tree in our tree well dropped a huge branch, and they came and got it within about a week.

Dana Bagby
Dana Bagby 07/25/2019 at 2:03 PM

Maybe egregiousness is becoming the name of the game with the city. I mean, seriously.

Liv Glavé
Liv Glavé 07/25/2019 at 2:45 PM

So glad to be leaving! This city is ridiculous. It’s embarrassing.

Theresa Halpin
Theresa Halpin 07/25/2019 at 11:07 PM

My sister, visiting from NJ, had her car towed on Wednesday. No signs showing the day before or day of the cleaning. Saw them pulling two cars at a time at the tow lot at a super high speed for a parking lot. That cannot be good for the cars.

Andrew George
Andrew George 07/26/2019 at 9:51 AM

This is a scam. Seiberts and the City MUST have an arrangement. I have never heard a positive thing about Seiberts.

Meghanne Ogburn
Meghanne Ogburn 07/26/2019 at 4:20 PM

Andrew George they clearly have some sort of arrangement as they are the only tow company listed in the city website should you need to retrieve your vehicle