Hopefully, you’ve seen some stories about all of the Virginia laws going into effect on July 1st. It’s definitely important to stay up to date on these items. They can impact your every day and not knowing about a law won’t prevent you from getting in trouble for breaking the law.
A few items of note:
- Suspended Licenses – New law will restore driving privileges to those with suspensions due to unpaid court costs. Also eliminates $145 reinstatement fee.
- All children under 2 years old must be in a rear-facing car seat until they meet the minimum weight requirement for forward facing.
- Animal abuse resulting in the death of an animal is now a felony (Only dogs and cats)
- Stricter/Harsher DUI penalties
- New surrogacy law with focus on LGBT rights
- All forms of tobacco banned from public school property
- Age to purchase tobacco and nicotine products increase to 21
I like this list/summary the best from Harrisonburg’s WHSV Channel 3 if you want some more info (see below).