Food

An Update on Riverbend Coffee

A quick Q&A with Brian Colegrove who bought the space that used to be Buzzy’s

So what’s been going on with the space?

We’ve done a lot of scrubbing and painting upstairs. We are repairing, sanding, and refinishing the floors. I really liked the rustic look, but didn’t realize that the look was mostly grime! They now look amazing. The contractor had to do a side at a time because of all the appliances, and last night he finished staining the second side.

We definitely have got to take a look.

The downstairs semi-kitchen area has been power washed. I painted the floor a light gray to brighten up the room. The floors upstairs have been finished and sealed so that the sawdust doesn’t filter through to the basement floor.

We didn’t even realize there was a downstairs area! What are you hoping to change from what some people knew of Buzzy’s?

I really want to change a lot of the negative thoughts about the place. Even though we do have some of the same employees and the same general layout, we are going to be different. The biggest complaints were about the cleanliness, the food, and the coffee. It will be clean. I will be there every evening to make sure it’s clean for the next morning.

What about the food and coffee?

The food options / quality will be better. We aren’t going to try to be a full on restaurant, but what we will offer should be worth putting on the menu.

The coffee. There is a lot to say about how it was. There are a lot of people who say we can’t get rid of the Church Hill or the Buzzy flavors, so…we won’t. We will use the same beans and roast them the same way, so those two things will stay the same, but as things progress, we will look into using higher quality beans for the other roasts.

There will be some mechanical differences. The espresso machine will be a brand new, higher end model on which we will all receive proper training. The coffee brewers and grinders will also be new, with the exception of one grinder. The water will be tested and filtered appropriately for the machines. Previously, the espresso machine was the only machine on which a filter was installed. The brewers used tap water. All machines will be regularly serviced.

Oh, and the coffee will not be watered down.

This sounds exciting, when do you think you’ll open?

We are still shooting for a July opening. As things go though, it may be pushed back. Things never seem to go exactly as planned. This is our first venture into any sort of business for ourselves, but I hope we’re headed in the right direction.

If you haven’t yet checked it out, please read this neat feature from Richmond BizSense from last month.

Updated – What’s Up with Captain Buzzy’s?

Jacob C.

Buzzy’s becomes Luke’s Diner this Wednesday

John M

The oreo milkshake at Buzzy’s is 100%

John M

Katherine Jester
Katherine Jester 06/21/2019 at 6:47 AM

“The biggest complaints were about the cleanliness, the food, and the coffee” ??? Yes, that pretty much sums it up! I remember when Lifetime filmed there- I was driving home and saw them putting up cling films on the windows that said Babycakes and got excited for a moment. I thought somebody had finally bought it and was fixing it up…now they have! Yay!

Randi Schreffler Wade
Randi Schreffler Wade 06/21/2019 at 8:25 AM

This is going to be great! Thanks for this update!

Lorena Salom Huffman
Lorena Salom Huffman 06/21/2019 at 9:30 AM

I’m on the West Coast now, but PLEASE bring back the OMG cookies. I have yet to have a better cookie in my life

Brian Colegrove
Brian Colegrove 06/21/2019 at 9:42 PM

I don’t think I can say I’ve ever heard of this cookie and if it’s the best someone has ever had, I’m kinda sad I haven’t had it!

Lorena Salom Huffman
Lorena Salom Huffman 06/21/2019 at 9:45 PM

Brian they were a chewy, melt in your mouth mess of chocolate chips, coconut, caramel and maybe macadamias? Just out of this world

The U.....nion Hill 06/21/2019 at 4:04 PM

The watered down coffee was what turned me away from Buzzy’s. I’m glad the new owners are directly addressing this.

Steven Cochran
Steven Cochran 06/21/2019 at 4:26 PM

Tee and Felicia are what made Buzzy’s a regular stop in the morning for Victoria Huber Cochran and me! PLEASE tell me they are coming back.

Brian Colegrove
Brian Colegrove 06/21/2019 at 9:41 PM

They’re the soul of the place and we couldn’t imagine it without them.

Anna Marie Scott
Anna Marie Scott 06/21/2019 at 11:01 PM

Tee and Felicia are THE reason my girlfriend and I kept going. Idk what Felicia did but my breakfast sandwich only ever tasted good when she made it ? I didn’t want another person to do it !

Steven Cochran
Steven Cochran 06/22/2019 at 12:07 AM

Brian great news!! When will you be open? We’ll be there!

Brian Colegrove
Brian Colegrove 06/23/2019 at 6:11 AM

As soon as we have a date, we will let everyone know. It has to be sometime in july though.

Kristin White Prendergast
Kristin White Prendergast 06/21/2019 at 5:54 PM

Shawn I’ve been watching this…Bob left it in a state of something, that’s for sure ?

jean mcdaniel 06/22/2019 at 10:50 AM

This comment is not about the coffee shop although I am just as excited about the changes as everyone else. I noticed people using ACTUAL NAMES on this post! I hope this is going to be the norm in the future on CHPN. By using a code for a name, people say things that are hateful and untrue with no accountability and no ownership. If you don’t have the balls to be associated with your comment/opinion, you shouldn’t have the right to post it!

Alex Gerofsky
Alex Gerofsky 06/22/2019 at 8:23 PM

Can’t wait to try it!

Brett Feinstein
Brett Feinstein 06/24/2019 at 5:31 PM

“I really liked the rustic look, but didn’t realize that the look was mostly grime!”

So basically, it sounds like the new ownership is committed to ensure the place won’t be the vile filthy pit it was previously. This is a positive for the neighborhood.