Community

Gentrification in Richmond

WCVE News & NPR are doing a series called “Where We Live”. It’s a look at housing issues, history, etc. in the Richmond, VA area. Below is one of the segments which features a local resident J.L. Roots. She tells us about her time here in the East End.

Community Idea Stations to Become VPM

Megan Rickman-Blackwood

NCRC’s piece “In Richmond, Virginia, gentrification is colonization”

Tina Bujno
Tina Bujno
1 year ago

Housing cost and inclusion of long-term residents in the decision making around how and what type of development is key to continuing to support a healthy, sustainable community.

Rachel Pater
Rachel Pater
1 year ago

I haven’t read you article but as a white person who lives here, I’m furious at whatever it says. ?jk keep up the good work guys!

Ryan Herndon
Ryan Herndon
1 year ago

As a former homeowner in Fulton it is long due. The east end and Chruch Hill will be a better place.

Charles Nance
Charles Nance
1 year ago

She’s a sweetheart. I’ve felt very welcome on West Broad Street and grateful to connect with some longtime residents. Will be miss many when we move back to Westhampton in a few months.

Paul Granger
Paul Granger
1 year ago

Mary White Thompson shares some similar words on this a few years ago:

Paul Granger
Paul Granger
Reply to  Paul Granger
Joshua Bilder
Joshua Bilder
1 year ago

I’m proud of my work at The New East End. Putting a picture of my project under the headline of gentrification is a mischaracterization. It was a pile of rubble and flith. I didn’t take an old neighborhood building and tear anything down, I revitalized it and rebuilt it. Including paying over $100k to reconstruct the historic sign. There are black, white, asian and hispanics living there. Not to mention people from every denomination Muslims, Jews and Gentiles living in the building. In fact that is what Church Hill its a melting pot, a mixture of people from different back… Read more »

Anna Diaz
Anna Diaz
Reply to  Rachel Pater

Rachel Pater of course its hilarious to you. Richmond has one of the highest evictions rates in the the country. It’s bold you push for the continuation of gentrification

arthur Burton
arthur Burton
1 year ago

Having arrived here nearly 30 years ago, I would love to talk about my experiences as a black person.

Lori Dachille
Lori Dachille
1 year ago

Richmond is setting itself up to be a suburb of DC. A lot of companies are moving their HQ here. Give it 5-10 years.

G
G
1 year ago

Oh my gosh – has that woman tried introducing herself to the people around her? How can she say she doesn’t have neighbors, that is SO WEIRD. I think if you talk to almost anyone in Church Hill, they will NOT have had that experience. Black, white, renter, owner, old, young. She says having neighbors is having kids grow up together, but that’s only one kind of neighborhood, but not all. People without kids can be neighbors too! That’s really unfair to us without kids – you’re saying I can never be your neighbor if I don’t have kids? I… Read more »

Emily Klinedinst
Emily Klinedinst
Reply to  Rachel Pater

I think you might have misinterpreted her intent.

Rachel Pater
Rachel Pater
Reply to  Rachel Pater

Anna Diaz this was tongue-in-cheek!

Leon Buckminster Lewis
Leon Buckminster Lewis
Reply to  Rachel Pater

Glad you can laugh at this…I guess you just want to make clear that you’re part of the problem.

It’s not just about race, it’s about financial equality, opportunity and defining your community by everyone that’s around you and not just who you meet at the faux-fancy restaurant or market.

Rachel Pater
Rachel Pater
Reply to  Rachel Pater

I was being sarcastic – poking fun at folks who get mad at any talk about gentrification and its ramifications. Reread my comment?

Ryan Herndon
Ryan Herndon
Reply to  Rachel Pater

Leon Buckminster Lewis sorry but I lived on those neighborhoods. Best thing that could ever happen. Trash begat trash…

Rachel Pater
Rachel Pater
Reply to  Rachel Pater

Ryan, people are not trash. Full stop.

Juliette M Dixon
Juliette M Dixon

Watch this video

This helps to explain gentrification. Hope it helps with the confusion.

MP
MP
1 year ago

Paul – thank you for posting Mary Thompson’s interview, she is a gem. She is very welcoming to all people in the neighborhood, and wants the newcomers involved in the neighborhood. Very different and much more positive than this Roots woman.

Anna Diaz
Anna Diaz
Reply to  Rachel Pater

See how it’s hard to read sarcasm. When people like Ryan move into this city that I’ve lived in for the past decade Richmond loosing the charm in which made me fall in love with this city.

Ella
Ella
1 year ago

@Joshua Bilder. Thank you for sharing that information. It helps us all learn about our community. Thank you for your beautiful renovation.

Ryan Herndon
Ryan Herndon
Reply to  Rachel Pater

Anna Diaz I’ve been here 20 years. Owning a house in Fulton was a horrible experience. Roaming group of kids and teens constantly terrorizing neighborhoods. But please keep acting like you know something.

The U.....nion Hill
The U.....nion Hill
1 year ago

My block was nearly abandoned when I moved up here because people like J.L.’s old neighbors left houses to rot. All we have done is help save old homes from the bulldozers.Stop laying this b.s. gentrification guilt trip on us.

Chris
Chris
1 year ago

We don’t know our neighbors because of the single and two parent family home. Even when with my daughter’s father after work, then softball practice we did not arrive home until 8pm. During the 50s and 60s the two parent working home was not the norm nor was the 60 plus hour corporate work week. Part of gentrification comes from a different generation looking for an affordable neighborhood and wanting to live outside the suburbs. It is not a white or black issue but a larger societal shift.

Derk P
Derk P
1 year ago

I’m glad this is happening. Hopefully it will push some of the violence outside of areas where people know how to act right.

Juliette M Dixon
Juliette M Dixon
1 year ago

Mrs. Roots is a wonderful person and has worked in the Civic Association for years. The gentleman that calls people trash needs to look into the history of this country and what gentrification really is. Also read about the systemic problems created that caused these communities to fail so you can snatch up blighted property at 0 cost and make a killing. I would love to have a workshop about it. Ignorance is Bliss!

Alison Jackson
Alison Jackson
1 year ago

Church Hill has the ability to be a great area, the houses are really nice around there and all it needs is community to come together…black, white, pink, brown, yellow, this shouldn’t be a race thing. Areas grow when people gain a sense if pride and community awareness and cooperation. We can move mountains as one people but it is harder when different groups don’t work together. Personally, I like the area…it can be rough but it also brings some of the nicest, most polite people I have met here in Richmond. I would love to see the area grow… Read more »

Boyd Moore
Boyd Moore
1 year ago

I am mostly deaf and depend on captions – the only captions that I can find on this video are in Korean, and not is not much help to me. 🙂 I wrote WCVE making the English addition also. Thanks.

O.
O.

G
I was always told that the person entering the room speaks first. OMG did the new neighbors introduce themselves?

Naim
Naim
1 year ago

Everybody just take a breath…It is just a natural progression. People come. People go. Demographics are fluid.

Mark
Mark
1 year ago

Gentrification is just a word used when blacks don’t like whites moving in nearby.. I say keep it up! The more “gentrification” the better. Church Hill is a community to EVERYONE.

G
G

@ O.
I would say it’s usually the people who live there who welcome the new people – think old fashioned welcome baskets? I am usually the first both ways, so don’t know what that says about me! As soon as I see new humans near me in the next yard or whatever, I’m for sure going over there and saying hi.

Mary Anne
Mary Anne
1 year ago

Some of the people commenting here make me ill. Mary T. is fantastic! Yes, this neighborhood is definitely gentrified & I miss my old neighbors who were pushed out as housing costs increased and landlords sold their run down rentals to investors who renovated them and made them single family homes again. I am technically a gentrifier, and it makes me sick to think that maybe the previous tenants of my home we’re pushed out when I bought my house 15 years ago. The neighborhood does look better than it did when I moved here but all of my fantastic… Read more »

Mary Anne
Mary Anne
1 year ago

Even CHPN has changed. Drastically.

Sharalyn Bailey
Sharalyn Bailey
1 year ago

Gentrification is not white people moving into ethnic neighborhoods. It is white people moving into ethnic neighborhoods and changing the neighborhood to suit them. For example, North side has been gentrified also. Now I hear some of my new white neighbors complaining about suspicious Black people in the neighborhood….which is predominantly Black. They want to know if they should call the police when they see one of us. We all know how that is likely to end. Another example is a 20+ year African festival that takes place in Jackson Ward. One older, new, white resident came storming over to… Read more »

Lane Jennison
Lane Jennison
Reply to  Tina Bujno

Tina Bujno I totally agree with your statement, but the how part seems so challenging.

Like how do housing costs get controlled to keep them from surging? Ex: although the architecture has been preserved, did the requirements from CAR, drive costs up?

The GRTC route redesign, appeared to make sincere efferts for community feedback by having several local forums, surveys, and votes… yet the outcome seemed to negatively long-term residents that are dependent on public transit.

This stuff seems so hard to get right

Dionna Dawn
Dionna Dawn
Reply to  Rachel Pater

What is your point, Ryan? Because of your experiences you think people should be displaced from their neighborhoods and tossed aside?

Dionna Dawn
Dionna Dawn
Reply to  Ryan Herndon

Ryan Herndon you’re disgusting

Jonett
Jonett
1 year ago

Yeah we liked it better when there was constant broad daylight shootings and nighttime slaughters. Church Hill was one of the worst neighborhoods in the entire country at one point. Y’all complain that the violence is out of hand and that something needs to be done. Well something is being done, so stop making yourself a victim and be an adult about it.

Eric Huffstutler
Eric Huffstutler
1 year ago

Church Hill still has an albatross around its neck. Not long ago, someone was wanting to move from DC to Richmond and looking for a house to buy. I suggested Church Hill and others around us shouted in protest like it was the worst place in Richmond to move to. That stigma of being a slum full of crime is still there. I remember years ago, that even the Times-Dispatch refused to deliver to certain areas and forget food delivery. It has and continues to change but without the exposure putting Church Hill in a positive light, there will always… Read more »