RVA Biz & Gov

Read Mayor Stoney’s First Eviction Diversion Program

Mayor Stoney proposes dedicated funding source for Affordable Housing Trust Fund

Jacob C.

Mayor Levar Stoney’s Monthly Board, Commission and Town Hall Meeting Update

Boys and Girls Club Opening Ceremony and Community Day this Saturday

Vanessa

Chris
Chris
1 year ago

Pay your rent like everyone else.

SA Chaplin
SA Chaplin
1 year ago

The City of Richmond has a concentration of poverty problem, not an eviction problem. It has this concentration primarily because of the numerous housing projects, but also due to its inability to annex the wealthier surrounding counties. Some of the highest rates of eviction were by Richmond Redevelopment which runs the housing projects. Thus, in spite of the NYT article, there was nothing that needed “fixing” in the eviction process. What needs fixing is the concentration of poverty — i.e., Mayor Stoney: eliminate the failed experiment called Public Housing. (And, as a bonus, you will have improved schools without building… Read more »

Patrick Garrett
Patrick Garrett
1 year ago

Great! More tax dollars to reward incompetence. What could possibly go wrong?

Kay
Kay
1 year ago

Pay your rent or GET OUT! What part of the lease agreement you signed is now baffling to you?

Bill
Bill
1 year ago

Mission accomplished! Just like the potholes.

Jonathan
Jonathan
1 year ago

I noticed that this whole initiative leaves out any discussion about the hardship, inconvenience, and expense to the landlords. Eviction is not a simple process, time and lost income, the tenant vandalizes the property in revenage before moving out. But sure, let’s create another us versus them issue instead of addressing the issue. Pay your rent and be respectful and you won’t get evicted. This is all from my experience. I see it happen quite frequently. People rent more space then they can afford, fill it up with rented furniture, trying to act like a big shot when they dont… Read more »

Mark
Mark
1 year ago

Lets keep bailing out people that don’t pay their bills… Time to vote Republican.

Liz
Liz
1 year ago

I concur with all of the above. How much longer is Stoney in office? Can’t be done soon enough.

Mary Anne
Mary Anne
1 year ago

To those of you who’ve never been in the position of being evicted: Karma is a bitch& if it happens to you I promise you’ll feel differently about this initiative.

Kay
Kay
1 year ago

Leave it to a Democrat to abolish all sense of personal responsibility…Oh, it’s not my fault that I’m getting evicted…bring in the Democrat to bail me out at the taxpayer’s expense. I can’t agree more that Stoney can’t get gone soon enough.

jean mcdaniel
jean mcdaniel
1 year ago

Although I have never been evicted, I have been in a situation where I couldn’t pay my rent due to an accident rsulting in broken bones etc. I remember the horrible stress that this caused and there was NOTHING I could do about it. Fortunately, my land lord worked with me, I eventually recovered and continued to have a roof over my head. I think a better solution would be to have a system that can intervien on behalf of a tennant OR land lord in those circumstances where a party is in dire circumstances not of their making. This… Read more »

Jonathan
Jonathan
1 year ago

The medical or fire straights situations described here or not a reason skip out on rent. Not being able to pay one’s rent is always the tenants fault. Plan better, save more money for emergencies, and get insurance like AFLAC. People keep satings “things happen and it was not my fault I could not pay rent”. Bull. The government should not create new tax payer funded programs to address such situations. Handle your own business.

johnathan
johnathan
1 year ago

“Governor Northam Signs Legislation to Reduce Eviction Rates in Virginia” ~ Newly-approved legislation will increase housing stability for low-income and transient Virginians ~ RICHMOND—Governor Ralph Northam has signed a series of measures aimed at reducing eviction rates in the Commonwealth. These bills support the Governor’s affordable housing priorities, which he set forth in Executive Order Twenty-Five signed in November of 2018. The legislative package includes House Bill 1898, sponsored by Delegate Jennifer Carroll Foy and Senate Bills 1445 and 1448, sponsored by Senator Mamie Locke. These bills provide additional opportunities for low-income Virginians to submit unpaid rent and fees prior… Read more »