Community

Found in Shockoe

Have you seen Tota? Update

Emergency Resources for Feeding/Caring for Pets and Strays

Kiet Vo

New cidery on its way to Shockoe Bottom!

Kiet Vo

Danielle Norris
Danielle Norris
1 year ago

I will admit to once or twice not picking up. But usually it’s because I ran out of bags on what turned out to be a two-poop walk.

Elyse Jenkins
Elyse Jenkins

Amen!

Paulette McElwain
Paulette McElwain
1 year ago

This happened to me last week and I felt terrible. He’s never a two-pooper! I looked around for others walking dogs to bum a bag from and there wasn’t anyone. ?

Lauren Hicks
Lauren Hicks
1 year ago

Jason Clavin I should post this on the community board haha

Jason Clavin
Jason Clavin

Rukiya Jones
Rukiya Jones

Try a 3-4 pooper lol???

Danielle Norris
Danielle Norris
1 year ago

Rukiya Jones oooooof! No thanks!

Wendy Gayle March
Wendy Gayle March
1 year ago

Not Shockoe’d at the things that come out of the Bottom…or that placed within..says this ER nurse

Däniel Häsh
Däniel Häsh
1 year ago

we just moved to Louisa and my wife was picking up our dogs’ poop and a neighbor actually pulled up in her car and said “why are you picking up their poop? we don’t do that around here” in an angry kind of manner

Victoria Lynn Davis
Victoria Lynn Davis
1 year ago

It’s common courtesy and it’s also the law.

Anna Lauher
Anna Lauher
Reply to  Däniel Häsh

Live in Louisa too, I have trained my pooch to poo in the tree line behind our house so he doesn’t poo where it might get stepped on. I didn’t want to have to clean it up anymore!

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler
1 year ago

It is still going to happen no matter how many signs are up. I recall one that I saw in the Fan that someone made up and looks like something the city posted and references the $250 fine for not picking it up. Okay, there is a fine so, who is going to call the cops and get there in time to issue a warrant? People are defiant and some even more so when confronted with a sign. Me, I give people the evil eye when I notice them walking a dog that has stopped and see no bags on… Read more »

SueWho
SueWho
1 year ago

Great signage. The fronts and backs of these signs have different messages. They’ve been posted since November, I believe, and some have been moved or are missing as they used to be posted in every tree well. The messages definitely make me laugh out loud. Very funny and creative!

Katherine Jester
Katherine Jester
1 year ago

The passive aggressive smiley face is just perfect

Chris Harnish
Chris Harnish
1 year ago

I just saw a dog owner on the the opposite side of the canal let their dog crap and then left it. What is it about cleaning up crap? Just do it!

District 7 Citizen
District 7 Citizen

@9 Däniel Häsh

I would come right back at them in a stern voice that it is “Common Courtesy” and pet owner “Etiquette” to do so! And if you step in their dog’s poop that you will be dropping it at their doorstep. Don’t they have similar ordinances on their books in Louisa?

Marian Altman
Marian Altman

So true. pick it up!!

Stroh Marilyn
Stroh Marilyn
1 year ago

A simple “need a bag for that?” usually works. #1 and #3 did you go back and pick up? My guess it’s still there.

Mary Anne
Mary Anne
1 year ago

I think the only thing that works w/people who refuse to clean up after their animals is public shaming. If you catch someone not picking up, take a picture & post it here (if that is allowed) or on.nextdoor Church Hill. P.S. – My dogs have surprised me too & I’ve not had a second bag so I try to go back to the “scene of my crime” & pick it up the next day or pick up somebody else’s pile. I’m just sick of stepping in giant piles of poop. We’ve all got cameras. If we are ready to… Read more »

annonymous
annonymous
1 year ago

I too have run out of bags while on a walk with an unexpected double or triple poop. I bummed a bag from a neighbor on a porch or left it, then went home got a bag and came back. DO NOT use that as an excuse. You know the scene of the crime.

Bailey
Bailey
1 year ago

My neighbor never picks up after his dog. Just lets the dog poop in the alleyway parking area for everyone to step in on their way to work! Pretty awesome. A lot of kids play out there too. We have tried putting out spare bags but they still don’t pick up. I am getting cameras put up so I can at least have proof. But seriously, why are people okay with living in filth?

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler
1 year ago

@9 Däniel Häsh I looked at both Louisa County and the city ordinances and the only thing I see on their books are the public parks in the city. § 115-15 (B) Pets in Parks: ” In addition, any person having the authorized custody or control of any dog or domestic animal shall have the responsibility for cleaning up the feces of the animal and to dispose of such feces in a sanitary manner. ” I guess being a more rural area and not a concentrated city population, they don’t have as strict of ordinances? I just know here in… Read more »

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler
1 year ago

Seeing this on NBC12 News!

Quentin Cannatella
Quentin Cannatella
1 year ago

Go down to Franklin and 20th & 19th. Poop everywhere.

anonymous
anonymous

Agree with 18 and 20 — there’s really no excuse

@bailey I deal with the same thing and it’s really frustrating. It’s gotten to the point where I can only enter my building from one side because I’ve stepped in dog shit so many times. I really don’t understand it, I would be mortified if anyone every stepped in my dog’s poop.

@19 I don’t think public shaming will work, these people have no shame and unless there’s enforcement of real consequences (i.e fines) they’re just going to keep doing it