Government RVA Biz & Gov

McEachin Meets with Richmond Postmaster — A Letter from your Congressman

Take a chance to read Congressman McEachin’s update on the mail issues affecting our area. A town hall is to follow for you to voice your concerns directly.

Dear Church Hill Residents,

I wanted to personally provide you with an update about the recent steps I have taken on your behalf to help resolve the high volume of mail issues you are currently experiencing in Church Hill.

I read of your concerns earlier this month, and throughout my first term in Congress, with mail delivery and felt it necessary to hold another meeting with Richmond Postmaster Thekkekara and local representatives of the United States Postal Service (USPS) on December 17 in my Central Virginia District Office located here in Richmond.

During our meeting, the local representatives informed me that they were unaware of the numerous concerns and complaints regarding mail delivery in Church Hill. I immediately told Postmaster Thekkekara about the several complaints I have received from constituents in Church Hill in hopes that we could expeditiously resolve these issues. With that, I want to make sure you have access to the local USPS complaint phone number, which is (804) 775-6313. As always, my team and I are happy to help, but you should also register your concern directly with USPS.

I am currently working to schedule a town hall soon in Church Hill so I can hear from you all in-person regarding your concerns and suggestions. I have invited postal representatives to participate, and I hope they will attend.

Please know my door is always open for you. Do not hesitate to contact my office with any further mail delivery issues or any other issue with a federal agency. I am here to help you. You can see a copy of the letter I sent to Postmaster Thekkekara following our meeting on my official website: www.McEachin.house.gov

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,
Congressman Donald McEachin (VA-04)

Post Office Update from Congressman McEachin

ADVISORY: Warner & McEachin To Host Discussion on Food Insecurity In Richmond

Rep. McEachin Introduces ‘African American Burial Grounds Network Act’ with Community Leaders

Lucia Urban Bakewell
Lucia Urban Bakewell 12/19/2018 at 1:15 PM

This is a real consideration if one is thinking of moving to Church Hill.

Jen O
Jen O'Malley 12/19/2018 at 1:19 PM

Thank you! I moved here in June and in that time more than 3 packages or significant pieces of mail have been lost or delivered elsewhere!

Ley Willis
Ley Willis 01/01/2019 at 9:10 PM

Could I also raise issues about mail here in Northside?

Brill O
Brill O'Brien 12/19/2018 at 1:34 PM

It’s also a situation right next door in Fulton Hill… hope Congressman A. Donald McEachin can fix the mail delivery here

Dana C. Kuchem
Dana C. Kuchem 12/19/2018 at 5:22 PM

Brill O’Brien It’s a situation everywhere. We moved here from Ohio and same complaints there – no mail delivered, packages marked delivered online then showing up days later, mail delivered to houses blocks away. This is really a nation-wide USPS problem.

Betsy Coe
Betsy Coe 12/19/2018 at 2:00 PM

I was at the post office today and they couldn’t find my certified letter! ??

Bina Jordanism
Bina Jordanism 12/19/2018 at 2:05 PM

I reported them to the USPS # about our issues. The next morning everything was thrown on my porch.

Robin Levey
Robin Levey 12/19/2018 at 2:06 PM

We have intermittently had issues in Ginter Park as well. Many of us have called with complaints of mis delivered mail, mail thrown on porches, not put in slots. It is currently a bit better.

Karen Smith
Karen Smith 12/19/2018 at 2:20 PM

Thank you Senator!

Emily Klinedinst
Emily Klinedinst 12/19/2018 at 2:56 PM

Good for him. Mail service is terrible here (Peter Paul). There’s one lady who’s good, and everyone else involved is awful.

Emily Cook-Asaro
Emily Cook-Asaro 12/19/2018 at 3:43 PM

What bugs me the most is when I get a sorry I missed you notice when I’ve been home all day. If they had knocked or rung the doorbell my dogs would have gone crazy so I know they didn’t. I don’t have the time to go pick something up at the post office just because you assume that I’m not here during the day.

Bina Jordanism
Bina Jordanism 12/24/2018 at 1:57 PM

Emily Cook-Asaro that happens to me too….smh.

Emily Legaspi Lucier
Emily Legaspi Lucier 12/19/2018 at 3:50 PM

This is good – but the truth is also what Bina mentioned above. When we lived in New Orleans, we had terrible problems with mail delivery as well. When neighbors in our building complained and reported this, the response was revenge from the USPS. We didn’t get *any* mail for several weeks afterwards, and there wasn’t a thing any of us could do about it. Reporting valid complaints is a completely logical thing to do, but is tricky at best. Here’s hoping!

Mike King
Mike King 12/19/2018 at 4:13 PM

Office of Congressman Donald McEachin, Thank you for taking the steps to help Church Hills mail problem. It is hard to register a complaint when they do not answer the phone or have a voicemail attached to the number. I have called several times to the number in your letter and have not been able to reach anyone.

Mar Quis
Mar Quis 12/19/2018 at 6:18 PM

Yes! My post person refused to put mail in the box. Just tosses it on the porch ?

Bina Jordanism
Bina Jordanism 12/24/2018 at 1:59 PM

Mar Quis Saturday I sat in my car and watched the guy tossing packages from the road. Thankfully nothing was fragile in the package. They did the same thing this morning.

SA Chaplin 12/19/2018 at 6:32 PM

I have lived in North Church Hill (Shed Town, actually) for over two years, but have had no issues with US Mail. One thing that might help folks is “Informed Delivery” which I learned about today at the main Post Office. The Post Office sends you an e-mail every day with images of each piece of mail you will be receiving that day. There is no charge to sign up.

Suzanne Wimett 12/19/2018 at 7:22 PM

Same situation in Varina. Either no mail or mail deliveries at 10:00 p.m. ever since the ‘big snow.’

Sue Whitten Wimett
Sue Whitten Wimett 12/19/2018 at 7:26 PM

Same problem in Varina. Either no mail or mail deliveries at 10:00 p.m.

Tanya Zebroski
Tanya Zebroski 12/19/2018 at 7:59 PM

Yeah, i rarely get my mail, on going issue and if u complain, u can pretty much kiss ur mail and packages good by

Deb
Deb'orah Colgin 12/19/2018 at 9:18 PM

I live in Samonoth Senior Apt. We have seen postman just pass on by our building not leave no mail …What has become of the postal service. We deliver rain .snow or hail storm. Nope not no more. You get mail when they feel like delivering it

JessOfRVA 12/20/2018 at 10:47 AM

My postman seemingly doesn’t look at the mail they have in their hand before leaving a porch. I’m constantly having to sort through mail for 4 different houses because it’s all been put in my mailbox. It’s mail all for places that have steps up to their mailbox, so it’s pretty clear after they’ve gone down the steps, they’re not going to go back up them. If I leave the mail there or clipped to the mailbox, it’ll stay there for days and days. And don’t bother trying to tell them about their error. They have their earbuds in and ignore me.

AO 12/20/2018 at 12:29 PM

It might just have something to do with the rise of Amazon and buying things online. I’m going to assume that mail carriers may be overwhelmed with Amazon Prime and having to delivery more packages, but that doesn’t excuse anything. USPS needs to hire more people, stop cutting corners, and get stuff delivered in a timely manner.

WarGib 12/20/2018 at 6:18 PM

@#12- For the record, the USPS mail in Chesterfield county arrives on time just fine. One of the many reasons I don’t miss downtown.

MP 12/21/2018 at 10:47 AM

I’m going to echo SA Chaplin – I moved to North Church Hill from a different part of the neighborhood, and the mail improved a lot. So maybe there is one good post person, in the North Church Hill area (we usually have the same woman)? Our mail is wrapped with a rubberband, and is delivered daily. I even had mail the Tuesday after the big snow storm. Pretty rare I have a mis-deliver, maybe only twice a year?

k 12/21/2018 at 1:06 PM

The reality is they honestly do not give a crap. Fire and rehire, Plenty of people looking for honest work

Samantha Duckett
Samantha Duckett 12/21/2018 at 2:56 PM

My block has not received mail in 6 days. If there is too much mail to complete each day’s route, can the carriers stagger where there start each morning? I’d rather get mail every other day than go a WEEK without mail. This is unacceptable. Anyone hear anything more about this?

D 12/21/2018 at 5:41 PM

This problem is not new by a long shot nor is it particular to Church Hill as represented by the Ginter Park and Varina contributions above. The fact that there seems no consistent pattern (i.e. mailman ‘passing by’, not delivering packages, dumping mail, etc) suggests it is more than just the actions of one carrier. In fact, the current mail lady is the best in the last five years or more. Prior to her arrival it was nothing for me to have NO deliveries for days on end, to be chasing packages and signature requiring mail around the city post offices and contacting merchants to do worthless trace checks. How bad was it? I spent hours on the phone (mostly on hold) with with the USPS complaint line and the local office with minimal results until this new carrier took over in the past year. So, for this article to suggest that this problem is new, that the ‘representatives’ or the people in charge are unaware implies that there is either massive miscommunication at the USPS or someone is not shooting straight. I thank Rep. McEaachin for looking into this problem as I suspect he must be somewhat aware of it since I bumped into him at the 25th street office when he was the VA Senator.

But, I gotta admit, my prior experience has left me no choice but to do everything I can to be minimally dependent on the USPS. To that end I offer the following suggestions that have helped me:

1. Consider the suggestion above from SA Chaplin. (not used this myself yet)
2. Get anything and everything you think is important delivered to you electronically if possible.
3. When buying items online request that a carrier other than the USPS deliver if possible. It may cost you more.

Please post details, solutions and outcomes of the Town Hall meeting.

Liz 12/22/2018 at 9:05 AM

I do think it is carrier-dependent. I am on 27th st and rarely have an issue. Every now and then, I do get someone elses mail, usually a neighbor. Rarely go a day without mail and haven’t had anything go missing that I was expecting.

Anita 12/22/2018 at 11:18 AM

We often receive mail that is addressed to other residents and have to pick up our mail from other residents who received it by mistake. Who is in charge of sorting? (Carriers are always nice and polite.)

Bryan Brodie 12/23/2018 at 6:26 PM

I have personally written to Congressman McEachen about issues our family has dealt with regarding extremely rude and lazy service from our letter carrier in Chester, Va.

We have contacted the postmaster(s) and the complaint line of the USPS and no action has been taken – the rude and incompetent mail delivery issues persist to this very day, have persisted for YEARS, without resolution, and with conclusive evidence presented that USPS employees were deficient in their jobs and in addressing our complaints.

Indifference doesn’t begin to describe the attitude I’ve received. USPS wages a war of attrition knowing that they hold all the cards… for now.

I used to be the biggest defender of USPS. My deceased father was a letter carrier. He was proud of the care USPS took with people’s mail at the time he worked there.

Even though I wrote a letter and mailed it, I never heard a thing from Congressman McEachen’s office.

Maybe USPS lost the letter?

The issues permeate USPS. Personally, I hope Donald Trump fires them all and replaces them with Amazon drones.

At least then we’ll have more responsive customer service than we do now.

Melissa Gropman
Melissa Gropman 12/23/2018 at 6:55 PM

I appreciate Congressman McEachin going to bat for us on this serious and long-standing issue, but find it incredulous that Postmaster Thekkekara and other P.O. officials “weren’t aware of any concerns or complaints” about mail delivery in Church Hill. We live in a highly proactive and vocal community when it comes to issues that concern our neighborhood. When we complain or need something, it’s always out loud! Mail delivery and the post office on 25th St. have been problematic for many years now. I’ve called the complaint line on a couple of occasions and know others who’ve done the same. There are also numerous other neighbors who’ve said in posts about the mail problems on CHPN, Nextdoor and the Church Hill Facebook page that they too have called to complain. So I have to call B.S. on what the P.O. officials told our Congressman. Maybe they’re deleting the messages left on the complaint line and/or not keeping records of the complaints. The problem may be the result of funding cuts, inadequate pay and/or understaffing, the result of which is often sloppiness, inadequate training, apathy and “short cuts.” If that’s the case, this is probably not an isolated problem and therefore should be addressed at a national level. Or maybe they’ve have they heard our complaints … but are choosing to ignore our concerns?

Ckw 12/27/2018 at 8:25 PM

On a positive note, I’d like to applaud our brave letter carrier over here at 34th and Q who was robbed at gunpoint and back at work within mere days.

derk p 12/29/2018 at 9:56 AM

i hope the usps goes BANKRUPT and if anyone ever sees USPS in a resume i hope it goes right in the garbage.

Luke Neal 12/31/2018 at 5:34 AM

I recently had an issue with a package not arriving. I was on the phone with FedEx almost daily. It really ticked me off… ultimately, I was reimbursed and the package eventually arrived.

This thread, though, reminded me of my friend who works for USPS. His integrity is strong and yes those people, like Phil, do exist. He works ridiculous hours in ridiculous weather and genuinely cares that people need their mail.

It sucks that there are stories like my own but let’s not forget the Phil’s of the world. It’s like having a bomb teacher in a tough school district. They are out there. ?

Postal Town Hall this Saturday - Church Hill People's News | Richmond, Virginia 01/08/2019 at 6:00 AM

[…] If you remember, Congressman McEachin recently wrote about the Postal issues that many neighbors are…. Get your voice heard and go to the Robinson Theater this Saturday morning. […]