Government RVA Biz & Gov

McEachin Meets with Richmond Postmaster — A Letter from your Congressman

Take a chance to read Congressman McEachin’s update on the mail issues affecting our area. A town hall is to follow for you to voice your concerns directly.

Dear Church Hill Residents,

I wanted to personally provide you with an update about the recent steps I have taken on your behalf to help resolve the high volume of mail issues you are currently experiencing in Church Hill.

I read of your concerns earlier this month, and throughout my first term in Congress, with mail delivery and felt it necessary to hold another meeting with Richmond Postmaster Thekkekara and local representatives of the United States Postal Service (USPS) on December 17 in my Central Virginia District Office located here in Richmond.

During our meeting, the local representatives informed me that they were unaware of the numerous concerns and complaints regarding mail delivery in Church Hill. I immediately told Postmaster Thekkekara about the several complaints I have received from constituents in Church Hill in hopes that we could expeditiously resolve these issues. With that, I want to make sure you have access to the local USPS complaint phone number, which is (804) 775-6313. As always, my team and I are happy to help, but you should also register your concern directly with USPS.

I am currently working to schedule a town hall soon in Church Hill so I can hear from you all in-person regarding your concerns and suggestions. I have invited postal representatives to participate, and I hope they will attend.

Please know my door is always open for you. Do not hesitate to contact my office with any further mail delivery issues or any other issue with a federal agency. I am here to help you. You can see a copy of the letter I sent to Postmaster Thekkekara following our meeting on my official website: www.McEachin.house.gov

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,
Congressman Donald McEachin (VA-04)

McEachin Votes to Pass Patient Protection and Affordable Care Enhancement Act

Kiet Vo

McEachin, Gade look to be winners in today’s primaries

Democratic, Republican primaries on June 23

Jen O'Malley
Jen O'Malley
1 year ago

Thank you! I moved here in June and in that time more than 3 packages or significant pieces of mail have been lost or delivered elsewhere!

Lucia Urban Bakewell
Lucia Urban Bakewell
1 year ago

This is a real consideration if one is thinking of moving to Church Hill.

Brill O'Brien
Brill O'Brien
1 year ago

It’s also a situation right next door in Fulton Hill… hope Congressman A. Donald McEachin can fix the mail delivery here

Betsy Coe
Betsy Coe
1 year ago

I was at the post office today and they couldn’t find my certified letter! ??

Robin Levey
Robin Levey
1 year ago

We have intermittently had issues in Ginter Park as well. Many of us have called with complaints of mis delivered mail, mail thrown on porches, not put in slots. It is currently a bit better.

Bina Jordanism
Bina Jordanism
1 year ago

I reported them to the USPS # about our issues. The next morning everything was thrown on my porch.

Karen Smith
Karen Smith

Thank you Senator!

Emily Klinedinst
Emily Klinedinst
1 year ago

Good for him. Mail service is terrible here (Peter Paul). There’s one lady who’s good, and everyone else involved is awful.

Emily Legaspi Lucier
Emily Legaspi Lucier
1 year ago

This is good – but the truth is also what Bina mentioned above. When we lived in New Orleans, we had terrible problems with mail delivery as well. When neighbors in our building complained and reported this, the response was revenge from the USPS. We didn’t get *any* mail for several weeks afterwards, and there wasn’t a thing any of us could do about it. Reporting valid complaints is a completely logical thing to do, but is tricky at best. Here’s hoping!

Emily Cook-Asaro
Emily Cook-Asaro
1 year ago

What bugs me the most is when I get a sorry I missed you notice when I’ve been home all day. If they had knocked or rung the doorbell my dogs would have gone crazy so I know they didn’t. I don’t have the time to go pick something up at the post office just because you assume that I’m not here during the day.

Mike King
Mike King
1 year ago

Office of Congressman Donald McEachin, Thank you for taking the steps to help Church Hills mail problem. It is hard to register a complaint when they do not answer the phone or have a voicemail attached to the number. I have called several times to the number in your letter and have not been able to reach anyone.

Dana C. Kuchem
Dana C. Kuchem
Reply to  Brill O'Brien

Brill O’Brien It’s a situation everywhere. We moved here from Ohio and same complaints there – no mail delivered, packages marked delivered online then showing up days later, mail delivered to houses blocks away. This is really a nation-wide USPS problem.

Mar Quis
Mar Quis
1 year ago

Yes! My post person refused to put mail in the box. Just tosses it on the porch ?

SA Chaplin
SA Chaplin
1 year ago

I have lived in North Church Hill (Shed Town, actually) for over two years, but have had no issues with US Mail. One thing that might help folks is “Informed Delivery” which I learned about today at the main Post Office. The Post Office sends you an e-mail every day with images of each piece of mail you will be receiving that day. There is no charge to sign up.

Suzanne Wimett
Suzanne Wimett
1 year ago

Same situation in Varina. Either no mail or mail deliveries at 10:00 p.m. ever since the ‘big snow.’

Sue Whitten Wimett
Sue Whitten Wimett
1 year ago

Same problem in Varina. Either no mail or mail deliveries at 10:00 p.m.

Tanya Zebroski
Tanya Zebroski
1 year ago

Yeah, i rarely get my mail, on going issue and if u complain, u can pretty much kiss ur mail and packages good by

Deb'orah Colgin
Deb'orah Colgin
1 year ago

I live in Samonoth Senior Apt. We have seen postman just pass on by our building not leave no mail …What has become of the postal service. We deliver rain .snow or hail storm. Nope not no more. You get mail when they feel like delivering it

JessOfRVA
JessOfRVA
1 year ago

My postman seemingly doesn’t look at the mail they have in their hand before leaving a porch. I’m constantly having to sort through mail for 4 different houses because it’s all been put in my mailbox. It’s mail all for places that have steps up to their mailbox, so it’s pretty clear after they’ve gone down the steps, they’re not going to go back up them. If I leave the mail there or clipped to the mailbox, it’ll stay there for days and days. And don’t bother trying to tell them about their error. They have their earbuds in and… Read more »

AO
AO
1 year ago

It might just have something to do with the rise of Amazon and buying things online. I’m going to assume that mail carriers may be overwhelmed with Amazon Prime and having to delivery more packages, but that doesn’t excuse anything. USPS needs to hire more people, stop cutting corners, and get stuff delivered in a timely manner.

WarGib
WarGib
1 year ago

@#12- For the record, the USPS mail in Chesterfield county arrives on time just fine. One of the many reasons I don’t miss downtown.

MP
MP
1 year ago

I’m going to echo SA Chaplin – I moved to North Church Hill from a different part of the neighborhood, and the mail improved a lot. So maybe there is one good post person, in the North Church Hill area (we usually have the same woman)? Our mail is wrapped with a rubberband, and is delivered daily. I even had mail the Tuesday after the big snow storm. Pretty rare I have a mis-deliver, maybe only twice a year?

k
k
1 year ago

The reality is they honestly do not give a crap. Fire and rehire, Plenty of people looking for honest work

Samantha Duckett
Samantha Duckett
1 year ago

My block has not received mail in 6 days. If there is too much mail to complete each day’s route, can the carriers stagger where there start each morning? I’d rather get mail every other day than go a WEEK without mail. This is unacceptable. Anyone hear anything more about this?

D
D
1 year ago

This problem is not new by a long shot nor is it particular to Church Hill as represented by the Ginter Park and Varina contributions above. The fact that there seems no consistent pattern (i.e. mailman ‘passing by’, not delivering packages, dumping mail, etc) suggests it is more than just the actions of one carrier. In fact, the current mail lady is the best in the last five years or more. Prior to her arrival it was nothing for me to have NO deliveries for days on end, to be chasing packages and signature requiring mail around the city post… Read more »

Liz
Liz
1 year ago

I do think it is carrier-dependent. I am on 27th st and rarely have an issue. Every now and then, I do get someone elses mail, usually a neighbor. Rarely go a day without mail and haven’t had anything go missing that I was expecting.

Anita
Anita
1 year ago

We often receive mail that is addressed to other residents and have to pick up our mail from other residents who received it by mistake. Who is in charge of sorting? (Carriers are always nice and polite.)

Bryan Brodie
Bryan Brodie
1 year ago

I have personally written to Congressman McEachen about issues our family has dealt with regarding extremely rude and lazy service from our letter carrier in Chester, Va. We have contacted the postmaster(s) and the complaint line of the USPS and no action has been taken – the rude and incompetent mail delivery issues persist to this very day, have persisted for YEARS, without resolution, and with conclusive evidence presented that USPS employees were deficient in their jobs and in addressing our complaints. Indifference doesn’t begin to describe the attitude I’ve received. USPS wages a war of attrition knowing that they… Read more »

Melissa Gropman
Melissa Gropman
1 year ago

I appreciate Congressman McEachin going to bat for us on this serious and long-standing issue, but find it incredulous that Postmaster Thekkekara and other P.O. officials “weren’t aware of any concerns or complaints” about mail delivery in Church Hill. We live in a highly proactive and vocal community when it comes to issues that concern our neighborhood. When we complain or need something, it’s always out loud! Mail delivery and the post office on 25th St. have been problematic for many years now. I’ve called the complaint line on a couple of occasions and know others who’ve done the same.… Read more »

Bina Jordanism
Bina Jordanism
1 year ago

Emily Cook-Asaro that happens to me too….smh.

Bina Jordanism
Bina Jordanism
Reply to  Mar Quis

Mar Quis Saturday I sat in my car and watched the guy tossing packages from the road. Thankfully nothing was fragile in the package. They did the same thing this morning.

Ckw
Ckw
1 year ago

On a positive note, I’d like to applaud our brave letter carrier over here at 34th and Q who was robbed at gunpoint and back at work within mere days.

derk p
derk p
1 year ago

i hope the usps goes BANKRUPT and if anyone ever sees USPS in a resume i hope it goes right in the garbage.

Luke Neal
Luke Neal
1 year ago

I recently had an issue with a package not arriving. I was on the phone with FedEx almost daily. It really ticked me off… ultimately, I was reimbursed and the package eventually arrived. This thread, though, reminded me of my friend who works for USPS. His integrity is strong and yes those people, like Phil, do exist. He works ridiculous hours in ridiculous weather and genuinely cares that people need their mail. It sucks that there are stories like my own but let’s not forget the Phil’s of the world. It’s like having a bomb teacher in a tough school… Read more »

Ley Willis
Ley Willis
Reply to  Jen O'Malley

Could I also raise issues about mail here in Northside?