Pets

East End Library Hosting A FREE Class on Raising Urban Chickens

Did you know you can own up to four chickens in the city of Richmond? If you haven’t tried it yet, raising urban chickens can be fun and rewarding – and the fresh eggs are an even bigger perk! The East End Library will be hosting a free class as part of their Old School Skills series, on December 13 at 6PM; Richmond Animal Care and Control will be doing a presentation on the legal requirements and the process for having “chicks in the City,” and other experts will be on hand for a bit of chicken care basics. Join us to learn about our feathered friends, and how you can turn a small corner of your yard into chicken paradise (and get breakfast, too).

Please call (804) 646-4474 to register, as class size is limited!

What do Narcan Training, Dessert Decorating, & Business Basics Have in Common?

Jacob C.

Pete the Cat is coming to the East End Branch Library

Adam Zimmerli

Johnathan
Johnathan
1 year ago

I was part of the group of chicken people that advocated for this to pass. I am still disappointed in city council for making this annual permit fee so large ($60) that it makes raising hens in the city cost prohibitive. Then when you add the fact that Chickens must be kept in the pen enclosure at all times and are not allowed to free-range, sort of defeats the purpose in my eyes.

Patricia Rogers
Patricia Rogers
1 year ago

I have always wanted to raise chickens, I might attend.

Nathaniel Roseberry
Nathaniel Roseberry
1 year ago

Sweet!!

SA Chaplin
SA Chaplin
1 year ago

I take the position that the $60 fee does not apply to me by virtue of section 58.1-609.2(3) of the Code of Virginia: § 58.1-609.2. Agricultural exemptions. The tax imposed by this chapter or pursuant to the authority granted in §§ 58.1-605 and 58.1-606 [605 & 606 govern sale and use taxes by localities] shall not apply to the following: 3. Livestock and livestock products, poultry and poultry products, and farm and agricultural products, when produced by the farmer and used or consumed by him and the members of his family. The city can call it a “license fee” but… Read more »

Adam Zimmerli
Adam Zimmerli
1 year ago

Patricia and Nathaniel, please give us a call and we’ll get you registered! (804) 646-4474

Johnathan and SA, here’s your chance to talk about it directly with RACC! That’s part of what we’re bringing them for, is to answer questions about the process.

Tara Franzetti
Tara Franzetti
1 year ago

I wonder who will teach this class!

Steven Summerville
Steven Summerville
1 year ago

YESSSS CHICKENSSS

Charlotte Rowe
Charlotte Rowe
1 year ago

Rose Meriwether Lewis this is exactly what I need

Rose Meriwether Lewis
Rose Meriwether Lewis
1 year ago

Charlotte Rowe ya those were my thoughts exactly !

Abbie Han