Dock St Closure Creating Dangerous Traffic on E. Main St?

We’ve had some reader comments about the closure on Dock St and the resulting traffic being funneled onto E. Main St. You can see the NBC 12 article below in which they interviewed a few pedestrians in the area and witnessed some of the issues first hand.

NBC 12: Pedestrians concerned about safety in Shockoe Bottom

The City of Richmond is saying that the work causing the closure on Dock St. should be completed (weather permitting) on October 2nd. However, we would like to encourage any residents with issues to please reach out to the city via RVA 311 or to your city council member. I know that personally, loving to walk everywhere I can, that being a pedestrian can be tricky. Not a lot of people like to stop for pedestrian crosswalks in Richmond even though it’s the law.

What’s your experience? Have you had issues at this particular part of Main St? What about in the neighborhood in general?

Renderings of Shockoe Valley Streets Improvement Project to be Available at Upcoming Meeting

Jacob C.

Advisory: Traffic Advisory for Virginia March for Life- TODAY

Train Derailment near Fulton/Rockett’s Landing

Rmb
Rmb
1 year ago

Haven’t really noticed a difference. Just wish people would stop parking on Main Stree before 6pm. I think that causes more issues than anything else.

Ron Burke
Ron Burke
1 year ago

I lived in Church Hill for 15 years and now live at 27th and Main. The problem from here is the closed sidewalk on Main between 25th and 26th. “Cross Here,” it says, pointing across a continuous flow of cars, trucks, buses, and ambulances. No protected pedestrian walkway, no crosswalk, only rare gaps in traffic even without Dock Street closed. Maybe Usain Bolt could cross safely. I certainly can’t.

Megan Smith Ragsdale
Megan Smith Ragsdale
1 year ago

Cars, trains, bikes and pedestrians all have to coexist in this space and unfortunately the tools and layout provided by the city are behind the times and is causing everyone issues.
I’ve pedestrians on their cell phones or headphones j walking or crossing with a do not cross light. Bicyclists cutting in and out of traffic, yes cars have their issues but It is not all their fault.

crd
crd
1 year ago

The problem I’m hearing about is not so much the Dock Street closing, it’s the closing of 25th to cars from Cary to Main Streets. That affects a bunch of people who live in Tobacco Row and park in a deck there, they have to drive to 26th to exit and there is no light at 26th. With traffic speeding by, how the heck are they supposed to turn onto Main St. at a blind curve? As to calling RVA311 or a council rep – the 311 system is remarkably non-responsive, and our council rep is same. Heck, I’ve been… Read more »

Bob
Bob
1 year ago

I work downtown and take Cary back East to go home. With the closure of 25th St. and the added traffic with the closure of Dock — oooh boy has it been a burden. Even turning right onto Main off of, say, 24th is a hassle due to the bus stops and pedestrians heading to or going from the CVS/grocery store. Trying to turn left onto 25th from Main has grown to such a headache I’ve been just going to Gilles and circling back into Church Hill from behind. I don’t think I would say it is dangerous but it… Read more »

crd
crd
1 year ago

@5 funny you mentioning turning onto 25th. Have a friend who thinks there needs to be left turn signals both ways for 25th St. Do you agree?

Grace
Grace
1 year ago

#6 Yes we need a turn signal there! So many cars going westbound block the intersection too. I was taught that you only go forward across an intersection when there’s room for your car but other people just don’t seem to care.

crd
crd
1 year ago

@7 I wonder what we need to do to ask the city to install left turn signals at 25th. Suggestions welcome, do we talk to someone in traffic engineering, or the police or what. Left turn heading both east and west, and left turn heading both north and south, IMHO. One friend who lives in Church Hill thinks all ways, another who lives in Tobacco Row at least wants one heading north and south.