No more salvage yard on Williamsburg & Hatcher

Reddit user Lunar_unit shared on the site::

Site clearing started on Monday.

SB Cox used this area and adjoining buildings for architectural salvage for at least 20 years. Old doors, windows, bathtubs, radiators, a Mexican ATM kiosk, and all kinds of stuff. They had doors stacked 50 deep, with the sweet smell of peeling lead paint in every crevice. I don’t think they sold much from there (kind of a low-brow Caravati’s) but they had some interesting items. It’s all gone to the great dumpster in the sky now.

RIP old crusty Richmond stuff.

Back in 2015, the plans to close the area were a distinct possibility and now it looks like it is finally happening. Check out the space before today.

u/lunar_unit

This area also used to be a lead-smelting company on Hatcher St which contributed to a significant amount of pollution, check out the resources below:

The salvage yard used to be open to the public as it sat right across from the Triple Crossing Brewery. Despite the negative reports, the salvage yard was not only a place of business, but a place that inspired some folks. Check out this entry by “Darling Octopus” back in 2012:

This weekend I went to one of my happiest places – the salvage yard. So much cool old stuff just waiting to be re-used. I find the salvage yard super inspiring and I love to just wander around. My favorite RVA salvage yard is S.B. Cox. They might not have as big a selection as Caravati’s but it has a much more laid back feel and most importantly – it’s cheaper. Now you will have to be willing to do a little digging. And nothing is priced, so you have to ask – but that means they are ready to negotiate. I hate to haggle but I actually find it kind of fun at S.B. Cox. Several negotiations have ended in a coin toss which is just so fun! So if you are looking for some old stuff to add character to your home – check them out. They have a huge door selection – we have replaced two doors in our house there.

The last Christmas at S.B. Cox?

John M

Steven Summerville
Steven Summerville

Went by there the other day and saw a mountain of steel that used to be the govt building at 9th and Broad

Hansi Armentrout
Hansi Armentrout

2013 tried to purchase a display case under about 50 years of dust only to be told it was not for sale. 2016 tried to purchase THE SAME case only to be told again that it was not for sale. I have a feeling it was less of a salvage yard and more of a massive personal horde.

Gale Bowles Giegerich
Gale Bowles Giegerich

Makes me wonder what will be built there?????

Brande Morrison
Brande Morrison

Oh no!! No more junkyard Christmas tree???

Tanya Zebroski
Tanya Zebroski

Build something for the community and children in the community.. Oh wait, I don’t even have faith in my community anymore, lol

Gale Bowles Giegerich
Gale Bowles Giegerich

Brande Morrison I hadn’t even though of that. But since Cox will probably still be in the area, their main office is right there, they will probably still light it up. I sure hope so. It’s my year to win. 🙂

Ryan Herndon
Ryan Herndon
Reply to  Tanya Zebroski

There is a park, public pool, and community center feet away from this location. What else would you like built for the community? I mean damn.

frank p
frank p

I loved that place – every 100 year old door told a story to me of the families and institutions that lived behind them. I’m sorry to see all those potential resources turned into land-fill.

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler

This is actually sad. Fewer and fewer places like this exist today. An easily accessed architectural salvage yard that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg for what is being sold. Items needed to do a proper and correct restoration of historic and period homes and businesses. I am surprised that some other company didn’t come in and buy the lot instead of it being bulldozed to oblivion.