Food

Anthony’s on The Hill Set to Close

A short panic came over the Church Hill Neighborhood Facebook group when news that Anthony’s on The Hill was to close this weekend on the 29th. We spoke with owner Michael Calogerakis to confirm the news and, unfortunately, it is so, Anthony’s is closing for good.

However, it is not all bad news.

The plans are to close the space for the next one to two months while the owner works on a new concept. While they’re not ready to announce a new name for the restaurant, they did tell us that the offerings will include hot breakfast options, sandwiches, and more. CHPN is going to meet with Michael to discuss the concept more next week, so we’ll keep you in the loop.

Established in 2011, Anthony’s on the Hill has been a popular place in our neighborhood; providing homemade and delicious Italian-American comfort food. Many of us loved the pizza dough crust, the meatballs, the salads and the marinara sauce. Now with 8 1/2 as the closest Italian American food option, we will miss this place but we are also excited that a new and potentially delicious breakfast nook is coming to the hill.

Related articles on Anthony’s:

Now open: Anthony’s on the Hill
Good works for Anthony’s on the Hill
Anthony’s on the Hill among the best of 2012

“If you haven’t had Anthony’s soft serve ice cream…”

Mike & Maddy’s (Formerly Anthony’s on the Hill)

Jacob C.

Vandalism at Anthony’s on the Hill

Vanessa

Liz
Liz
1 year ago

My day is now officially ruined!!!

HW
HW
1 year ago

Commence the rumours of this now killing Buzzy’s.

Michael Jones
Michael Jones
1 year ago

Thank you Michael Calogerakis for all you’ve done for Church Hill. Anthony’s has beed a great addition to the neighborhood. Look forward to enjoying and supporting your next efforts! Gonna miss that food…

Katarina Sophia Pace
Katarina Sophia Pace
1 year ago

Hopefully this is not because of new competition opening up. Anthony’s is still the best pizza!

Diana Palese
Diana Palese

Love this spot !!!! Going to miss you

Marilyn Stroh
Marilyn Stroh
1 year ago

Church Hill needs a place for breakfast. I love the idea. Hope it comes to be. Eggs “your way”, French toast, lox and bagels, oatmeal, cream of wheat, Fresh OJ, Bloody Mary’s, I could go on…

Stokes McCune
Stokes McCune
1 year ago

Great place great food! Gonna miss em

Robbie Summey
Robbie Summey
1 year ago

I liked their food. The staff was very courteous.

Michael Grabow
Michael Grabow
1 year ago

I really hope they still make pizza when they open back up!

Alexander Merrick-Tagore
Alexander Merrick-Tagore
1 year ago

This is the saddest day for Richmond Pizza lovers. Anthonies is my favorite and will be missed (even if the replacement is delish!!!) nothing like their red with black olive and pepperoni. ????

Kate Stromberg
Kate Stromberg

noooooooooooooo

Jared Nathan Crane
Jared Nathan Crane
1 year ago

But will they still deliver???

Beth
Beth
1 year ago

I am so sad about this, it is my neighborhood Italian food fix. Just like being home on Long Island. I don’t have time for fancy breakfast but I always have time for dinner pizza with morning leftovers.

Evan Maxwell
Evan Maxwell

Essy Schmucker
Essy Schmucker
1 year ago

I love Anthony’s so much. This is heart and stomach-breaking.

Heather Horak
Heather Horak
1 year ago

Mike is a rock solid baker, so looking forward to what he cooks up next.

Liz
Liz
1 year ago

And let me add, this may be my new go-to for breakfast. The staff there are awesome!

Liz Morton
Liz Morton
1 year ago

Can’t go wrong with hot breakfast and sandwiches! We always wished there were more options for food like that when we lived there. Good luck Anthony’s team!! Can’t wait to try the new menu!

UH Neighb
UH Neighb
1 year ago

Best of luck with the new venture. We could use a proper sit down-casual breakfast spot!

Kathy Greenier
Kathy Greenier

This is the darkest day

Kay Hudgins
Kay Hudgins
1 year ago

But still pizza right? Just please don’t take our PIZZA!

Dania Jennison
Dania Jennison
1 year ago

My pizza. Oh my pizza needs in RVA will never be met again. My eggplant parm needs… My chicken parm needs… My cannoli needs… I’m so sad.

SA Chaplin
SA Chaplin
1 year ago

Other than Donald Trump, there may not be as hot button an issue as “the best pizza in town.” That said, the pizza at Anthony’s was, IMHO, okay at best. It didn’t help that there were no craft beers to wash it down. My dream for Anthony’s: bring in Lefty Bletsos (formerly of Stratford Hills, now in @ “Lefty’s” in Amelia — my favorite pizza) to re-invent Anthony’s pizza, and add craft beers (and add a little more atmosphere).

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler
1 year ago

I too hope they will keep pizza since I do not like the bland tasting, thick crust 8-1/2 ones.

Holly
Holly

THE. BEST. PIZZA.

Heather Boylan Drew
Heather Boylan Drew
1 year ago

Best pizza in Richmond. Hands down. My heart breaks and stomach mourns.

Jim Altieri
Jim Altieri
1 year ago

So sorry to hear about Anthony’s. My grandchildren especially looked forward to Anthony’s when they came from NE to visit. Will look forward to the reopening.

Alejandra Rodríguez
Alejandra Rodríguez
Reply to  Kate Stromberg

Nooooooooo

Ali Cross
Ali Cross

Noooooooo

Tricia Dunlap
Tricia Dunlap
1 year ago

Nutella calzone is required. Chicken saltimbocca. The meatballs. Arugula salad. And I’ve lived for and “Anthony’s special pizza + prosciutto”. We are regulars there and I’ll be so upset if our favorites disappear for good.

Grateful
Grateful
1 year ago

Michael is, without a doubt, the hardest working restaurant owner in town! Best Pizza & Meatballs to be found anywhere. You deserve a break-come back strong. Thanks You!!

D
D
1 year ago

It is THE BEST pizza!!! Really, really going to miss it…

M Perry
M Perry
1 year ago

This is heartbreaking! We just moved to the neighborhood and this has by far been our favorite spot and one we couldn’t wait to take family and friends to. We loved the neighborhood feel and knew that in time it would become a place where everyone knew our name and our order. There are quite a few morning food options between WPA, Buzzy’s and LPH. Anthony’s filled an Italian food void on the Hill and their pizza vastly outdoes 8 1/2. Sad to see it close.

Jackee Sadicario
Jackee Sadicario
1 year ago

We don’t need hot breakfast and sandwiches. We already have that. We need your pizza. Please keep the pizza.

SueWho
SueWho
1 year ago

Very sad news indeed. I wish I had time for leisurely breakfasts, but I don’t. My food preferences have always been lunch or supper items more than what’s offered for breakfast, though I’m sure there’ll be enough folks around here to support a breakfast and lunch service concept. I’ll certainly miss the tasty pizzas and pasta items.

MP
MP
1 year ago

Sad about this, too! But really excited about a hot breakfast option, plus sandwiches! Davinci pizza on the 1100 block of N 25th is really good (if you can get over the block it’s on).

paul glancy
paul glancy
1 year ago

Look forward to the next iteration. Will certainly give it a try. For Italian, 8 1/2 is hard to beat. Excellent product – glad they are close.

RWM
RWM
1 year ago

Breakfast Pizzas would be amazing!

Melissa Brooks
Melissa Brooks
1 year ago

My 7 year old legit cried. We all did. Great pizza, awesome meatballs, friendly staff.

Liz
Liz
1 year ago

I do hope Michael, the owner, is reading all of these comments and seeing what a great thing he brought to our neighborhood!!! I also hope he knows he has great support and we are looking forward to his next venture!

nicholas g armbrust
nicholas g armbrust
1 year ago

We were Michael’s first customers after receiving Anthony’s ABC license. Loved the food then, and grown to love it more with each visit. Chicken saltimbocca and three meat pizza are favorites. Clear that Michael’s know dough. Hopeful that his next is as satisfying for him as much as Anthony’s has been for his following. Awful to think of Anthony’s in the past tense.

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler
1 year ago

If we can get something like a “3rd Street Diner” concept with breakfast hours and home-cooked diner food, that would be great for our area.

JessOfRVA
JessOfRVA
1 year ago

This is SO SAD!!!! I love this place. Best pizza in town, hands down.

JMG
JMG
1 year ago

‘Sad’ doesn’t even begin to cover it. We will miss our weekly dinners there. We will miss the great food, kitchen crew, and excellent wait staff! Most of the time we didn’t even have to tell them our order, they already knew what we wanted. A true neighborhood spot – like a Church Hill Cheers. Such a loss for RVA. Pizza is the best around, hands down!

MJR
MJR
1 year ago

I’m armchair QBing here and have no idea of the financials… but in a perfect world they’d just keep Anthony’s on the Hill and Michael could open a second spot for his breakfast concept at 32nd and Marshall…

I can honestly say I’ve never had a better meatball pizza anywhere else. They are the best.

Randall Bowman
Randall Bowman
1 year ago

My favorite pizza in all of RVA.
Will miss them greatly.

Sean Cassidy
Sean Cassidy
1 year ago

Well, the food sucks. No big loss.

Kate
Kate
1 year ago

I’m so upset by this. SUNDAY WILL NOT BE THE SAME WITHOUT MY ARUGALA PIZZA. Like we had friends who would hang out with us late on Sunday evenings before heading out to nova or va beach just to get pizza with us.

Bill
Bill

Eat at home

dontmincewords
dontmincewords
1 year ago

@47/Sean. FINALLY someone who I can related to. I have never had a saltier pizza than the arugala. And I like me some salt, but holy hell. I ordered the Pasta with Tuscan Bolognese Meat Sauce in July and it was brown meat and white pasta. No red sauce to be found. I told a friend in Varina about the closing. She loved their pizza and she said “they’ve gone down hill in the last year.” So, living in Richmond is like living in LA – no good pizza unless you know the good places in Brooklyn.