Crime

If you see something, say something- Caught in the Act

A concerned neighbor sent us this video:

Car Breakins – 4 am

Sent in by a neighbor- concerned about more car break-ins. Remember, if you see something, say something. Call the Non-Emergency Line or file a Police Report: (804) 646-5100

Posted by Church Hill People's News on Monday, July 23, 2018

Found an interesting PDF from the City of San Mateo- read on here for some tips on how to prevent car break-ins.

SMPD Safety Tips – Car Break-Ins

Arrest made in Blakey Street killing

ABC store on Venable St broken into

Redd Street Homicide – Arrest Made

jean Mcdaniel
jean Mcdaniel
1 year ago

I made a police report. The responding police officer gave me a report number. To date I have not been contacted by the detctive who will be handeling the ‘investigation’.

The actual video is extremely clear.

E
E
1 year ago

How much do security cameras typically cost? Ones that are not grainy. Perhaps if the cost is reasonable, more of us can install them. I’m not at all opposed to printing images of criminals and posting their pictures around the neighborhood. It won’t catch them but it may deter them. A spoonful of shame can go a long way.

Spacecat
Spacecat
1 year ago

It boggles my mind how often people leave their cars unlocked. If there’s no opportunity for these guys to easily grab stuff, they won’t grab stuff. Why do locks even invented? Because people have always grabbed stuff.

mark
mark
1 year ago

@1 Well Jean, this was taken on a Saturday and you’re complaining about not being contacted on a Monday.. I’m sure Detectives have a more regular schedule than beat cops.

jean Mcdaniel
jean Mcdaniel
1 year ago

I originally had this systtem installed because someone was throwing rocks at my geese. One time Tucker had a bloody bill. I was sure that it was some kids being naughty. I owe the neighborhood kids an apology because it turned out to be a gray haired man! The image is much better on my system and each of the individuals can be identified. This is not an off the shelf system. It is custom and hard wired and it cost $1200.00. You can get an off the shelf system for between $200.00 to $500.00 . You can call my… Read more »

SA Chaplin
SA Chaplin
1 year ago

What do you wanna bet . . . around 3:30 AM one turns to the others and says, “Who’s ready to go shopping?”

K
K
1 year ago

I’m with E on this one. Police are too busy for this kind of thing it seems. Post them online and all over the neighborhood. Also (this should go without saying) Stop leaving your car doors unlocked. This isn’t goochland or henrico . If you leave your doors unlocked you are asking for it.

Annonymous
Annonymous
1 year ago

Even if you have a security system try to take a quick look out the window anytime during the night you wake up. Easier for police to catch them in the act than by video, video just helps prosecute. I personal have a newborn at home and anytime I am up with him I do a quick scan. Even attempting to open car handles is against the law as it is personal property so don’t wait until they find someone who left theirs unlocked. Obviously locking the vehicle is ideal but people do forget, I know we do at least… Read more »

jean Mcdaniel
jean Mcdaniel
1 year ago

I absolutely agree about locking your car, shed etc. Unfortunately for me, my husband does not lock stuff!

SueWho
SueWho
1 year ago

Always remember to lock your doors and keep whatever you have in your car out of plain sight. Still, if someone wants your car for a joyride, or to take perceived valuables, they’ll find a way. I’ve known folks from Powhatan who’ve had items stolen out of their vehicles from unlocked cars in their driveways. I’ve also read some of the local neighborhood papers from the Chesterfield/Midlothian area and you’d be amazed at the number of car and garage break-ins in various subdivisions, the same goes for Henrico. County crime exists, but isn’t reported on/exposed the way it is in… Read more »

Dubois2
Dubois2
1 year ago

Fairly unrelated, except that both are real non violent local
Crimes.