East End News

Happy Pride Month East Enders!

Church Hill Neighbor, Jake, shared with us this week:

I’ve wanted to post about pride all month, but I’ve struggled to articulate what “pride” means to me. Mostly, because getting to the point in my life where I can say that I am proud [at my core] of who I am has been the hardest, most painful thing I’ve ever done, and for a long time I hurt for the people I hurt. It’s no wonder we celebrate “pride,” because pride is the antonym of shame; a feeling all LGBTQ people are told to feel, not just for our sexuality, but for having the audacity to come out. Pride is celebrating that we’re different, yet a part of a larger community, each having survived the pain of growing up LGBTQ in a straight world. And pride is not just accepting the truth of who we are, but celebrating it, and dreaming of a world where everyone understands, empathizes, and celebrates our differences. Having pride is saying, “I’m proud of who I am. I love who I am. I love who you are. I’m not ashamed to be me, and I’m proud of you for being you.” Happy Pride month y’all.

Thank you for sharing Jake!

A Look Back: Richmond Before Now on Instagram

Megan Rickman-Blackwood

Modern Homes. Historic Neighborhoods.

Emily Klinedinst
Emily Klinedinst 06/27/2018 at 2:12 PM

Happy Pride Month!!

Braxton Tindantle
Braxton Tindantle 06/27/2018 at 2:13 PM

I love walking past the flag at 21st and Leigh every morning!

Roy S Drake Jr
Roy S Drake Jr 06/27/2018 at 6:52 PM

Love! Love! Love!

Eric S. Huffstutler 06/29/2018 at 1:06 AM

I am a bit surprised as well as disappointed by not seeing more posts relating to the LGBTQ community we have here in Church Hill.

Now with the upcoming “retirement” of Justice Anthony Kennedy, it is a setback for equal rights that will last decades to come. One column writer called it a “judicial apocalypse”. Kennedy wrote the Obergefell decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, protecting gay rights to marry. Trump is sure to appoint a conservative while this bill is on the chopping block for reversal that will also affect spousal benefits.

A dark day and just only one reason why Pride Month should now have an even stronger meaning with support.

Jacob Corfield 06/29/2018 at 1:07 PM

Eric, you’re absolutely right, Justice Kennedy did write the Obergefell decision, and Justice Kennedy is a traditionalist and conservative when it comes to his interpretation of the constitution. He was also a Reagan appointee. There are many on the list for the nomination that are of Kennedy’s School of thought, and I feel confident, as a member of the lgbt community, that whomever is nominated will uphold the constitution, and protect the rights of marriage for all, as we expect them to.

This post was meant to be a positive one. If you would like to see more of the lgbt community better represented, reach out to contribute. I have some ideas, but it’s got to be positive, and it won’t happen without grassroots involvement. Peace, love, and pride!

Jacob Coots 06/29/2018 at 7:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback Eric. We would love to cover more LGBTQ events on the site but we honestly don’t know of any in the East End. If you have ideas or suggestions please let us know!

Eric S. Huffstutler 06/30/2018 at 4:23 AM

@6 Jacob Coots, as you point out, there are none, which is a sad state of affairs when you consider that Church Hill has a good LGBTQ population. You can just look around and see several flags flying as well as other indicators. But it seems as though our community remain “in the closet” rather than be active and progressive. We have made many strides since Stonewall but it looks like some setbacks are in store ahead. We can hope for the best but be prepared for the worst to come. As you know, I had written an extensive article that you guys will eventually publish when the site is rebuilt and wonder how the community will react to it?

Eric S. Huffstutler 07/09/2018 at 10:21 PM

Pride Month is over but not the struggles we face. The following are not my words but a quote from an NBC News article by Julie Moreau about this evening’s nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

” Kavanaugh does not have a clear judicial record on LGBTQ issues, but McGowan said he was “promoted heavily by the Family Research Council in 2005” when he was initially nominated for the U.S. Court of Appeals for D.C. Circuit. The Family Research Council, like the Alliance Defending Freedom, has been designated an anti-LGBTQ “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is an outspoken opponent of LGBTQ rights, claiming homosexuality is “harmful” and “unnatural.” It is not clear, however, whether Kavanaugh agrees with the group’s anti-LGBTQ views. “