Ed Slipek, architecture critic, VCU professor and Style Magazine writer, recently profiled the 2300 block of East Grace and in particular the Ann Adams Carrington House. It’s amazing how the initial westward movement of all government buildings in 1780 left many of the buildings and “architectural fabric” of Church Hill intact.
A special note to this passage:
Beginning in 1957 the Carrington House, as well as other dwellings in the 2300 block of East Grace and Broad streets, was the focus of a complete rehabilitation of the so-called “pilot block” by the Historic Richmond Foundation. By finding sympathetic property owners and restoring the entire block using best practices, this ambitious reclamation set a high bar that is still be followed in the preservation of hundreds of the other old and historic homes on nearby blocks of Church Hill and Union Hill.
The Ann Adams Carrington House, one of the oldest on Church Hill and in Richmond in general. Take a look at Ed Slipek's new profile and learn more! #rva #churchhillrva #richmond @chpn https://t.co/X0cihFpfTv pic.twitter.com/X0RBgMhtyk
— ArchitectureRichmond (@ArchRichmond) May 7, 2018