Roundabouts for Shockoe Valley: some of these would be extremely impactful!

There are a ton of bike lanes proposed as part of this project, so come check it out. #MoreBikeLanes

If you’d like to see some of the presentation, take a look at this Steering Committee PowerPoint presentation!

We also want to make sure that the project is FULLY FUNDED.

From NBC12:

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) – Five roundabouts are being proposed in Shockoe Valley.

A road improvement project scheduled to begin in 2021 calls for roundabouts at intersections on Oliver Hill Way and Venable Street in the area of the I-95 overpass on Leigh Street Viaduct.

A public information meeting is scheduled for May 1 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Martin Luther King Middle School on Mosby Street.

The Shockoe Valley Streets Improvement Project will include wider sidewalks and bike lanes in addition to the roundabouts.

The intersections that would be turned into roundabouts are for Broad Street and 17th Street where it turns into Oliver Hill Way, Venable Street and Oliver Hill Way, Venable Street and 18th Street, Venable Street and Mosby Street and Mosby Street and Leigh Street Viaduct.

The goal is to reduce traffic speeds in the area and improve the safety of the pedestrians and cyclists who traverse the area.

One of the major goals of the project is to provide a connection link for Capital Trail and Cannon Creek Greenway.

The improvement is estimated to cost $28 million and will be completed in 2023.

[sep]

John Murden had originally written about this back in January 2016.

Project would reconfigure Oliver Hill Way, add five roundabouts

crd 04/30/2018 at 9:07 AM

I am having trouble imagining a roundabout at 17th and Broad esp. at times like afternoon rush hour. As it is now, with a stop light, traffic often backs up in the westbound lane all the way to at least 21st St., sometimes more, what with cars getting on the interstate. How is a roundabout going to help that?

MP 04/30/2018 at 9:41 AM

So if you’re on 95, and you want to get to north Church Hill, what do you do?

From the north/west, you used to be able to get off at Broad St. going west, then do a U-turn to get going east on Broad. But the Pulse stuff, closed that U-turn. So now you have to get off at Franklin, then loop around up 14th, then right on Broad?

From the south, what are our options? If Oliver Hill Way closes, I’m seeing none at all, but maybe I’m misreading that map. I come that way quite a bit on 95 (every day from work, and often on the weekends, too) – do you have to get on the toll road one exit, and then somehow loop through the city? That seems like a terrible idea for city traffic. I’m so confused – aren’t these people traffic engineers? I’m certainly not, but these seem like obvious problems.

Tim Parker 04/30/2018 at 10:38 AM

MP – If you look at the Road Circulation slide about a third of the way down, it shows that the exit from the south will stay open and will add another route to Venable St. I think that will help the Broad Street intersection quite a bit, I know I would use the Venable street way instead of Broad.
As for the roundabouts, I’m all for them assuming they are large enough to actually function as roundabouts. The small ones on M and Marshall would not work at these intersections. Functional roundabouts have been proven to speed up intersections as well as reduce maintenance problems and power outage problems. Just make them usable (Monument and the 25th/M/Jefferson roundabouts are good examples).

Ryan 04/30/2018 at 10:46 AM

MP, I’m not sure how this update changes the overall plan. I believe this is a multi-step plan as it adds the circles and will change the entry/exit for 95/Broad Street. The previous plan called for the 95N Broad Street Exit to remain the same, just adding the circle at Venable to allow for early access to North Churchill instead of going all the way to Broad. For 95S, the Broad Street Exit was initially planned for a traffic light, so as to be able to go East or West on Broad, instead of the current West only/Franklin Street Exit for East bound travel

Bill 04/30/2018 at 12:32 PM

CRD. It won’t help but it will be trendy

Tim Parker 04/30/2018 at 2:56 PM

crd – You answered your own question. It currently has a stop light, which requires people to stop regardless whether they need to or not. Roundabouts don’t, they can allow constant motion.

MP 04/30/2018 at 3:45 PM

Thanks everybody, I think I was looking at an old idea, I see the current one now.

Katherine Jester 04/30/2018 at 4:39 PM

Broad and 17th…? Oy vey.

Angela Wagner Costa 04/30/2018 at 7:31 PM

No one knows what to do
at a roundabout in VA just drive thru to Fan…

Cadeho 05/01/2018 at 12:21 AM

OMG this is what happens when I don’t participate because of my late shift and my department not allowing us time off! The Broad street roundabout idea is RUBBISH! Option 2 for I-95 exit… who drew that? A giant roundabout wipes out a building and reconfigures the streets into wtfville.

ilya 05/03/2018 at 2:44 PM

I think it’s pretty cool. I love roundabouts. The new one at the exit off 195 on Idlewood (which is now a two way street!) is great.