Food

Craft Kolache Closes

View this post on Instagram

Dear RVA and beyond, Thank you for coming on this adventure. It has surpassed my dreams that my initial summertime farmer's market concept grew into a brick and mortar location for the last 2 years. I couldnt have done it without the awesome people of RVA rallying behind me. Together we introduced a new (to many) word and a new (to RVA) food and have been WILDLY successful. TOGETHER. We cultivated community and kindness. TOGETHER. We donated to numerous charities and bought a wheelchair for someone affected by Hurricane Harvey. TOGETHER. I couldn't have done it without your curiosity about an unfamiliar food, your dedication to the business and your kindness. THANK YOU. With great excitement for what the future holds, Craft Kolache is closed effective today. I have a new adventure already in the works that I will bring to RVA very soon, and I CANT WAIT for you to join me on the next adventure. ?Heather #kindnessmatters #rvadine

A post shared by Craft Kolache (@kolacherva) on

Featured image from Style Weekly

What’s your plan?

Tree’s Tacos Celebrates 2 years in business

Pomona Hosting some Cool Gardening Workshops

Christine Greenberg
Christine Greenberg

Heather is going to slay and kick ass at whatever she does. Her delicious treats will be missed. Urban Set Bride will be expanding into her space and rooting her on as she continues her adventures in bad assery.

Melissa Ansley Brooks
Melissa Ansley Brooks

I am devastated.

Adam
Adam

Nooooooooo! Too many good places in Church Hill go out when they’re at the top of their game. First the Dog and Pig Show, now Craft Kolache. I can’t take it!

Chloe Rote
Chloe Rote

I have NO idea how Henry and I will tolerate each other on Friday mornings! Heather is doing other badass things, though!!

Gina Fuller
Gina Fuller

What the eff? Why do places keep closing without notice like this?!?

Rachel Woolwine Davis
Rachel Woolwine Davis

There is something strange here. I know they were always crazy busy.

Jessica Shook
Jessica Shook
Reply to  Gina Fuller

Actually, thy did kind of notice. They announced a while back they would be closing for a little bit. Then they made it permanent.

L
L

They always seemed extremely busy, were always sold out, and so forth. In other words, it looks like they were making money. I kind of had the impression that everyone or almost everyone who worked there had other careers/responsibilities/etc. So, what I don’t understand is why they wouldn’t try to sell the business, rather than just shut it down?

Jonathan
Jonathan

Didn’t she get a grant fr om bon secours to make this happen? I know most small businesses fail within the first three years but come on. Running a business is not an adventure, it’s hard work. I hope the next person is actually serious.

Megan Stimpson
Megan Stimpson

Busy doesn’t necessarily mean you can keep the overhead costs going to stay afloat and keep the product the same. A lot of people fail to realize how much cost goes into a restaurant without having to raise prices to make a profit.

Jason S
Jason S

Jonathan, the hater meter is having a hard time registering your hateration levels. The last sentence does have some funny irony to it though, so points on that. Also, extra points for providing a textbook example of where the phrase “mind your own business” originated.

Josh
Josh

Jonathan, Let me educate you a little bit on the backstory of the woman who owned and ran this business. She has spent over 20 years of her life as a physical therapist dedicated to helping patients who have suffered from Trumatic brain injury’s , she’s also made multiple volunteer trips to countries whose people would normally not have access to top-quality physical therapy , while owning and running Kolache, she continue to work about 50 hours a week as a physical therapist and then will come in to the bakery in the evenings and 4 o’clock in the morning… Read more »

Scott Andrews
Scott Andrews

We knew it wasn’t going to last when they had the Texas flag backwards in the store.

Ben Steelman
Ben Steelman

I always wondered how they paid rent considering they were open like 5 hours a week…

Josh
Josh

Ok, so let’s try this again. If the only take a way from my previous post was that you now have a better understanding of how rent was paid, I’m sorry you missed all the other more important parts. As for the amount of hours the bakery was open, that was the widow of opportunity that we had to operate within and we are so thankful for everyone’s support that we were successful beyond our imagination with such small operating hours . We are SO Lucky to have full-time careers that allowed us to financially do what we really wanted… Read more »

Charlie Ayers
Charlie Ayers

Will miss you.

Clay Street Resident
Clay Street Resident

I visited Craft Kolache several times and loved the baked goods, so I am sad to see the business shutting down. Everything I purchased was delicious and I liked the location. However, there are even more times I stopped by during business hours (meaning the days/hours specified by Craft Kolache as their business hours) and the door was locked and no one in sight. No sign on the door specifying a reason or that someone stepped away and would be back shortly, just a locked door during business hours. After a few failed attempts, I simply stopped going.

tony
tony

Dang Johnathan just posted his opinion, why rage on him? Yes they did get 5 grand in grant money. Josh since you are so #blessed chill dude.

Ester
Ester

If the product is great, it should be available in local stores. The new grocery in the east end might be a great place to showcase local food vendors.