Farm Fresh selling its stores including one in Shockoe

From the Richmond Times Dispatch:

The Farm Fresh grocery chain, founded 61 years ago in Norfolk, is fading away.

Grocery wholesale distributor Supervalu Inc., which has owned Farm Fresh since 1999, said Wednesday it no longer plans to own the chain that once dominated Hampton Roads.

Supervalu said it had entered into three separate definitive agreements to sell 21 of its 38 Farm Fresh stores for about $43 million in cash to three different retailers: Kroger’s Harris Teeter brand, Kroger brand and Food Lion.

The company said it is continuing discussions and exploring potential transactions to sell the remaining 17 Farm Fresh stores, including one on East Main Street in Richmond’s Shockoe Bottom neighborhood, to current and prospective wholesale customers and certain Farm Fresh employees.

“Exiting the Farm Fresh banner will enable us to allocate greater resources and energy toward the strategic growth of our wholesale business,” Mark Gross, Supervalu’s president and CEO, said in a statement. “This decision was not taken lightly, given the impact on our employees and the communities we serve, but we strongly believe this decision is in the best long-term financial and strategic interest of our business.”

In addition, it looks like 60 day notices were given today:

Farm Fresh gave employees at the Richmond store layoff notification letters and a minimum 60-day notice as required by law, he said.

A couple of employees said Thursday they weren’t sure what would happen to the store or to their jobs. “Our manager thinks the store will be sold but who knows what will happen to our jobs if that happens,” said one female employee, who asked that her name not be used.

Farm Fresh has operated the 37,000-square-foot store since July 2004.

The chain returned to the Richmond market then by taking control of the supermarket’s operations at the request of parent company Supervalu.

Looks like more opportunity for the upcoming East End Grocery Store:

East End Grocery Store

Neighborhood Grocery Holdings LLC (NGH) buys Farm Fresh

Update: Farm Fresh to remain open- for now

East End Grocery: Oasis in a desert

Jacob C and Gustavo S

Jared
Jared

It would be nice to get something that isn’t already in the area. With the recent addition of Publix and Lidl on Laburnum, and the Walmart on Nine Mile, where there was already Kroger and Food Lion relatively nearby, plus the incoming East End store. Harris Teeter would be fantastic. Maybe too much dreaming for a Trader Joe’s that’s not in Short Pump?

BAF
BAF

May be tough to find a national chain buyer given that store has a small footprint relative to what most national chains prefer. Food Lion might look it at—but let’s hope someone better comes along than them and their deal that sold off the Martin’s stores may prohibit them from adding more units in the market. Might be a good place for an Elwood’s expansion or if the Libbie Market guys want to try something larger.

Victoria Lynn Davis
Victoria Lynn Davis

As long as I can still find Daiya Caesar dressing….without ordering online, we’re good.

Terrapin Marquis
Terrapin Marquis

the kitchen is pretty good.

Angela Gay Davis
Angela Gay Davis

As long as it’s replaced with another grocery store

Anne Tomsky
Anne Tomsky

omg I’m literally so happy

Debra Miller
Debra Miller

Good Riddance! A locally owned grocery instead of a big chain would be great but probably never happen.

Juliellen Sarver
Juliellen Sarver

Too bad. It’s an important community resource. It will be missed; the next closest store is Food Lion on Williamsburg Rd and Charles City Road, which is a hike and not served by transit.

Michael Brap
Michael Brap

Gonna miss the salad bar

Kay S Glenn
Kay S Glenn

I love this store and it’s employees. I feel for them

Iesha Leonard
Iesha Leonard

I always got the worst service…

Anne Robinett
Anne Robinett

Going to miss their fried chicken, it made a great Sunday lunch!

Lindsay Beach Whitmore
Lindsay Beach Whitmore

The last time I was in there, everyone was incredibly friendly (which wasn’t normal) Every corner I turned, someone asked me how my day was. I felt like i was on a commercial or something. I will miss their salad bar too. Best in richmond as far as grocery stores go.

Stephanie Espinosa
Stephanie Espinosa

Lol ellwoods and sometimes kroger has it

Carmen Emborski Pekarek
Carmen Emborski Pekarek

Please be a LiDL… or ALDI…

Fellipe Matias
Fellipe Matias

Ima miss the employees there. They’re always super friendly

Rita Sharon
Rita Sharon

hopefully they stay on.

Kirsten Gray
Kirsten Gray

I just got back from Lidl. Great place but we have one near by at Williamsburg Rd and Laburnum. I don’t know if they open stores near each other. But we do need a grocery store of some kind in the church hill area.

Kirsten Gray
Kirsten Gray

Oh no! We need a grocery store in the neighborhood!

Melissa Ansley Brooks
Melissa Ansley Brooks

There’s still a grocery store coming to 25 th and 9 Mile! ? East End Grocery Store

Alexandra Hicks
Alexandra Hicks

Can we get a Trader Joe’s over here?!?

Breau Brothas
Breau Brothas

Not my fish dinner!

Colleen Boland
Colleen Boland

oh noooooo

Neill Jameson
Neill Jameson

Whoever moves in it’s assured the parking lot will still be a mad max free for all

BAF
BAF

And now it appears they are going to close the store if they don’t find a buyer. Layoff notices went out today.

Diana Palese
Diana Palese

I hope their replacement is better priced !! Farm fresh is way expensive for not being very good !

Jasmin Bee
Jasmin Bee

They have some of the best fried chicken

Michael T.
Michael T.

Prices were always high compared to Kroger and Trader Joes. We only went for beer and ice.
But it serviced alot of the East End families as well as providing employment opportunities.
But my fingers are crossed for Trader Joes!!

Fark Mitzhugh
Fark Mitzhugh
Reply to  Breau Brothas

Maybe they will get a store that has good deals

Ann Balaban
Ann Balaban

Why!!

Tonya General
Tonya General

Starbucks!!!

Amy Weber
Amy Weber

East End Grocery Store is coming to the neighborhood!!! It’s under construction right now!! Please support this local grocer!!

Liz
Liz

I am sad to see this happen. For those with no transportation, our area is a food desert. In addition, I have seen the quality of this store improve over the past several years and it’s great to be able to “run down the Hill” to pick up essentials and some treats at times. I hope a quality affordable grocery store moves in so that we ALL can benefit.

Liz
Liz

But yes, please fix the parking lot!! I do not own a Matchbox car! 🙂

crd
crd

I think it’s the footprint size of the Aldi at Blvd and Broad Sts. Hope they look at it. The other stores all have much bigger footprints and I don’t see Kroger or Food Lion going there. Agree with Julie Ellen and Kirsten Gray, we need a store. Anyone here with the time and inclination, there used to be a way to go on the Aldi website and suggest a store location, i did it a year or more ago and suggested Fulton but nothing happened. You have to give them an exact address as I recall, so make sure… Read more »

crd
crd

Also someone just told me that it’s owned by Supervalu, which is a wholesaler, and their shareholders are telling them to get out of the retail business. Supervalu is a wholesale distributor, and they aren’t very good at retail.

Kay Christensen
Kay Christensen

I suspect this location will simply go dark…. it’s too small for any of the national names mentioned to make a go of it. Doesn’t fit an Aldi or Lidl model…

Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones

Maybs pubs???

Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones
Reply to  Jessica Jones

But then my parking spot will be long gone

Your Neighbor
Your Neighbor

At #6. I’m glad you’re so happy at all those people losing their jobs.

Chris Custer
Chris Custer
Reply to  Jessica Jones

Oh man. Unlimited pub subs would be amazing. Someone else commented they want a Trader Joe’s. Wouldn’t hate that either. Probably not big enough for a Weg tho

Chris Custer
Chris Custer
Reply to  Jessica Jones

As long as it’s not Kroger

Brittany Dugas
Brittany Dugas

Can we get a Trader Joe’s for the love of everything good in this world!?!?!!!

Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones
Reply to  Jessica Jones

Plot twist: it’s a New Grand Mart & I will never ever move.

Chris
Chris

Don’t forget the Chimbo Market folks.

Iesha Adu-Darko
Iesha Adu-Darko

Thank the lord! They sucked anyways

David Maughan
David Maughan

Let’s get a Trader Joes!

Tricia Dunlap
Tricia Dunlap

Tell Trader Joe’s we want them: https://www.traderjoes.com/contact-us/location-request

JG
JG

Really going to miss being able to walk a few blocks to do our grocery shopping. Extremely nice employees as well.

bp guy
bp guy

@6, 7, & 46…seriously? If you don’t like the store then take your business elsewhere. For the people that depend on that store (like my mom who lacks a car) and the people that are employed there, they aren’t yelling good riddance, or yay! It shows some self-absorption on your parts.

It wasn’t my primary go-to, but it was convenient for when I needed something on the way home, and was a decent, and improving market. I also wonder if any of the three of you ever complain about food deserts.