Community Conversation Regarding Public Schools Facilities Funding

Saturday, February 10, 2018
2:00-3:30 p.m.
Bon Secours Center for Healthy Living – Sarah Garland Jones Center
2600 Nine Mile Road Richmond, Virginia 23219

You’ve read numerous articles and comments online over the last few weeks about this tax.  We’ve heard your opinions. Now is the time to show up and let our representation know what you think.

Cynthia I. Newbille and Levar M. Stoney, Mayor of Richmond, will hold a special community meeting for the Richmond East End 7th Voter District. The meeting will include a discussion regarding the proposed increase to the Richmond Meals Tax Rate to achieve Richmond Public Schools facilities funding. Confirmed special guests include: Cheryl Burke, Trustee, Richmond Public Schools Board of Trustees, Richmond East End 7th Voter District and Mr. Jason Kamras, Superintendent, Richmond Public Schools

For more information, please contact Sam Patterson, Liaison for Cynthia I. Newbille, Councilwoman, Richmond City Council, Richmond East End 7th Voter District, at 804.646.3012  or sam.patterson@richmondgov.com

RTD candidate questionnaires for Newbille and Rogers

Stoney, Newbille lead the money race

Newbille and Rogers at Fulton Candidates’ Forum on Tuesday

lanny
lanny

How they roll, baby! Discussion is defined as “the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.” Present, to “facilitate” this discussion will be Newbille and the author of the proposed tax burden, the city’s mayor hisself; and “Confirmed special guests…Cheryl Burke, Trustee, Richmond Public Schools Board of Trustees, Richmond East End 7th Voter District and Mr. Jason Kamras, Superintendent, Richmond Public Schools” If a discussion, by definition, is “typically conducted in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas”… the proposed “discussion” will be typical only by Richmond… Read more »

ray
ray

Come on now, this meeting is a bunch of bs.

If it was really a “conversation” soliciting citizen input about the meals tax it would include citizens who don’t support it. Every person listed in this meeting….Stoney, Newbille, Burke, Kamras … are all strong public proponents ot the increase. Why not have some opposing viewpoints?

How gullible do these folks really think the citizens are?

Bill
Bill

Opposing views are not allowed

Admin

You know guys, you could just go and see how it goes? I understand the hesitation but turn your anger and frustration into action- writing a comment on a website is actually the least you can do.

mary
mary

Jason Kamras was the immediate past Chief of Instructional Practice for the DC public school system and is the newly hired Superintendent of Richmond’s own public school system. Kamras’ work in the DC system has been praised for “unprecedented gains in…graduation rates.” (Wiki bio) Slowly emerging, however, is the DC school system’s story of multiple abuses during at least the 2017 school year (Kamras’ last year with that system) in the use of credit recovery programs designed to let kids earn credit for courses they didn’t pass the first time around, courses they need in order to graduate; and with… Read more »

ray
ray

Come on, Gustavo!

Why would anyone waste their valuable time when it’s obvious this is just a sales job for the tax increase? It’s not like they are going to change their position on the issue just because some citizens express an opposing position — their minds are already made up and they have made their pro tax increase positions publicly known!

Better to vent here than at a meeting where everyone would just get more pissed off!

lanny
lanny

It occurs to me, without having to think about it very much, that there won’t be many anti-tax people at today’s hastily called meeting because many of the anti-tax people are probably at work trying to keep their restaurants afloat. Restaurant work is laborious and time consuming; and with very short advance notice about the meeting, scheduling coverage in order to be able to walk away from the work place to attend a meeting was probably next to impossible. Perhaps “writing a comment on a website is actually the least you can do;” and might have been instead all they… Read more »

Admin
Reply to  ray

@ray all right all right. I hear you. It’s important to vent. I’m just leery of venting without action. We have this social media wall that separates us from the reality that your contributions are important but only when you, as a constituent, make yourself be heard.

@lanny I do apologize if you felt scolded. However, this doesn’t and won’t change the fact that inaction never started a change. Unless you (and I mean all of us) show up and build relationships and start having real conversations we won’t get anywhere.

Bill Hartsock
Bill Hartsock

Gustavo, we all appreciate the fact that you have picked up the baton from John and have run with this site. John, however, stayed clear of the conversation unless it became very angry and offensive. You have interjected yourself in the conversations more than he ever did. Give some thought to staying more above the noise and being the great arbiter that John was.

Admin
Reply to  Bill Hartsock

@bill thanks for the feedback. This almost reads to me as ‘be quiet’ though since I’ve only responded to three comments ever in the site. One of the ways I admired John is exactly for being above the noise but he learned along the way to find that balance. We all have our voices and styles. It is important to me to encourage action as long as we continue to be respectful of each other’s opinions.

Jacob C.
Editor
Jacob C.
Reply to  Bill Hartsock

I think the point that Gustavo is making, which is a very valid one, is that we can’t become so jaded that it keeps us from being a part of the process. Our goals as editors are to educate people, facilitate constructive conversation, and to make people aware of the avenues they have to voice their opinions one way or the other. This was one of those opportunities. It’s an opportunity to make more than a simple post on social media that has limited impact and to actually go and speak to the people that are proposing these changes and… Read more »

lanny
lanny

#8 – Good grief…what happens on this site isn’t important enough for me to “feel scolded.” My action on CHPN is the least of my action on issues like a new tax.

HW
HW

I don’t want to put words in folks mouths, but early comments seem to be commenting on a shift in the nature of CHPN from strictly news to more editorial. I cant recall John chiming in that wasnt to document/clarify a point of fact or enforce a rule. If readers can expect a mix of both news and editorial going forward, perhaps that should be clarified. To the post, the hosts welcomed and encouraged candid remarks, but only a former councilperson had much to say in the negative. I’ll say, the speakers werent terribly prepared to speak to specifics

ray
ray

I think Gustavo is doing a good job and I appreciate the way he handles issues on CHPN. He’s got a “light touch” which I think is a good thing.

Dubois2
Dubois2

Generally @8-13, The conversation that happens on CHPN matters. It’s not the US Senate but it’s also not yelling in the shower. Re moderators, passion aside, there’s nothing about being critical here that precludes other actions, so how about we all simply work to advance this conversation here, rather than talking ABOUT it. And. It’s hard to be a gladiator and a referee at the same time, and we do need refereeing every now and then. Just a thought. For myself, in my personal life I am an active person; I attend meetings when I can, and find other, often… Read more »

Mary
Mary

#14 – “the speakers werent terribly prepared to speak to specifics”

Thanks for a very good summation of a typical 7th district meeting.

Jason S
Jason S

Y’all might be taking yourselves too seriously. Gustavo can feel and say anything he wants here, same as you. I wish folks on here could get as worked up about helping our schools as they do about their sensitive ass feelings. What he’s saying isn’t even controversial or confrontational. Toughen up and listen to what he’s saying: Action speaks louder than your blustery internet fuming.