East End News

Before and After on 2013 Venable St

A before and after by Project Homes.

For Sale: $2,500,000

CHPN

Another Multi-Family Project Making its way to Union Hill

Jacob C.

Dave Seibert 01/02/2018 at 9:39 AM

This was a great renovation. And a huge save! What a great house.

mary 01/02/2018 at 10:11 AM

From a push by the city four years ago to demolish almost the entire row of these iconic buildings…to this. How wonderful.

Matt Conrad 01/02/2018 at 11:09 AM

Just awesome. I like it even more that it’s a Project Homes renovation. That stretch of Venable is getting better and better all the time. Now for something exciting in the corner retail spot across the street!

Elaine Odell 01/02/2018 at 11:31 AM

Yes, it’s been cool to watch the transformation! Such a beautiful home.

Taylor Rockwell 01/02/2018 at 12:02 PM

And heres one from right when they began renovations. Subtle differences between then and now.

Matt Jarreau 01/02/2018 at 2:06 PM

@Matt Conrad the corner of Venable and Mosby has been leased to a furniture store! The small office on Mosby St is still available.

project Homes, BHC and SSCD have been a huge help to the Church Hill and Union Hill communities by renovating dilapidated homes as well as developing vacant parcels of land. They have always preceded the private sector in their efforts.

Lee 01/02/2018 at 2:32 PM

When I saw that renovation had started on this row of houses, I was concerned that the remaining original features would likely be lost. I’m pleasantly surprised to see that the quirky “capitals” on the porch posts and the unusual angled cornice frieze have been preserved or reconstructed.

I can’t really figure out exactly why, but this particular row seems distinctive or special in some way. To me, these houses have always seemed like a hybrid of the more traditional/formal row houses typical to Richmond and more “modern”/working class/infill row houses typical in Baltimore or Philadelphia. Perhaps there’s something historically or architecturally important there, and perhaps not – but in any event it’s good to see them being restored.

Lee 01/02/2018 at 2:33 PM

*Also – if anyone knows anything about the history or architecture of these particular homes, I hope you’ll share what you know here?

Matt Conrad 01/02/2018 at 4:25 PM

@Lee, challenge accepted. That particular house is one of the Boze houses.

Boze, R. P. House, Italianate, 1882 ca., Single Dwelling. This story, 2-bay, frame dwelling has a bracketed cornice with sawn work. There is a 2-story, 3-sided projecting bay on front facade and a I-story, 2-bayy porch
attached to left of bay. The hiproofed porch has one original turned posts, sawn brackets and box cornice with molded crown.

Here is a link to the original Union Hill nomination with detail on each contributing structure:

Matt Conrad 01/02/2018 at 4:35 PM

It seems like Robert P. Boze and his brother operated a grocery at the nearby 2003 Venable St.

Matt Conrad 01/02/2018 at 4:46 PM

@Matt Jarreau

I’m done dominating this thread (sorry), but I don’t think a furniture store is a permitted use in a corner parcel zoned R-63.

Lee 01/03/2018 at 12:33 AM

@ Matt Conrad – That’s certainly a start. I’m more interested in “interpretation,” for lack of better words. The angled cornice ventilator frieze and the relatively small/simple corbel brackets seem rather different from many of the other Italianate row homes in the area. If not for the bay window and the porch, I would almost think this row of houses was from a different city/region, if that makes sense?

I will do my research on Boze, but I’m wondering if he had his own distinct style or was originally from somewhere else, perhaps? Is there something – something to do with lot size or proportioning or socioeconomic status of the neighborhood or the cost of timber in 1882 or whatever – that accounts for this particular row’s distinct appearance? I think that these houses are recognizable as Italianate style row homes, but it seems like they might be significant beyond just being decent examples of that particular style of architecture. Feel free to shoot me down and tell me that they aren’t all that unusual – maybe I’m seeing something that’s not there?

Alison Sanderlin 01/03/2018 at 8:59 AM

Oh wowww

Rachel Davis 01/03/2018 at 9:22 AM

@Matt Conrad, thanks for the historical info. Very interesting! This stretch of houses is indeed very special. I’m so glad the project owners were able to salvage the original structures. It makes me so happy to see new life come to Venable. I’ll be at the open house and twist my arm to enjoy some @roaringpines coffee. Happy Day!

DerekW 01/03/2018 at 11:32 AM

Assuming, with an open house, this is for sale?

If so, who is the agent, and is there a website I can reference to see more?