Crime

Opioid overdoses in Richmond

Graphic by Kira Rider from the Times-Dispatch apparently placing the worst of the regions opioid crises at about Fairmount and Mosby, for a piece by John Ramsey and K. Burnell Evans on the city’s ongoing opiod crises:

The number of nonfatal overdoses is up more than 25 percent in the Richmond region compared with last year, according to local law enforcement agencies that track them. Deaths in the region are on a similar pace.

[…]

Hours before the woman collapsed at Kabana, two people had overdosed in one of the motels along Midlothian Turnpike, where rooms go for about $40 a night. Another person had to be revived in Church Hill. This summer, a pregnant woman was found overdosed behind Franklin Military Academy. It was too late for her and the unborn child, as it has been for more than 1,000 others in Richmond and its surrounding counties in the past decade.

GRTC service updates take effect September 13

A direct connection between racist housing policy in the 1930s and how hot your neighborhood is

Richmond’s urban heat islands

Ashley M Taylor
Ashley M Taylor
2020 years ago

FB_10100120924450357

Mark Robinson
Mark Robinson
2020 years ago

FB_10209477538427684

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler

Sadly, there are too much abuse with Opioids rather it be doctors loosely writing scripts to people taking more than needed and becoming addicted. I have a rare adult form of Muscular Dystrophy with the acronym of OPMD. There are many in my family with it but, because of muscle fatigue and joint pains associated with it, I have been taking prescribed Oxycodone for 10+ years, several times a day to be able to simply walk and stand for any length of time. If we could find something else for me to take outside of time released morphine, I would.… Read more »

Beatrice Cross
Beatrice Cross
2020 years ago

FB_1420038554681004

Julia Matthews
Julia Matthews
2020 years ago

FB_10156624314427542

Linda Miller
Linda Miller

I oxycodone and Fentanyl patches for 18 years do too many surgeries on my neck and back chronic pain syndrome and and they are unable to do anything surgically for me anymore so as with you without the medication I can’t walk without being in extreme pain I can’t stand for long periods I can’t sit for long. I don’t have a life all I do is cry and lay in the bed and agonizing pain so those of us in the situations that you and I are in what are we supposed to do stop living and just die… Read more »

Michael Grabow
Michael Grabow
2020 years ago

FB_10202668046299955

Chris
Chris

Much of it is heroin.

jean mcdaniel
jean mcdaniel

This is such a problem that the Vetrans Administration Hospital has initiated a program
to train selected Vetrans in the use of Narcam. A prescription for two doses is then given to those who have gone thru the training. I try to remember to have it with me at all times.

This is an extraordinary situation that is so wide spread that a Federal Agency would issue medications to random people.

Aaron James Sawyer
Aaron James Sawyer
2020 years ago

FB_1934490960171732

Eric S. Huffstutler
Eric S. Huffstutler

@2 Linda Miller… You will have those who will scream and holler about entities like CVS, who are going to regulate how many pills can be distributed to “new” patients. The ones screaming the loudest are usually the ones who are addicted. You have doctors who may be getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies to prescribe their products. You will also have unethical doctors, who may have their own demons. And of course, a single Oxy pill on the street can go for $65. The pharmacies know this and tried to switch up brands they carry that are not marked… Read more »