Crime

Two men shot to death last night in Whitcomb and Mosby

From WTVR:

The first took place in the 2400 block of Carmine Street, where officers responded to the report of a shooting at 10:58 p.m. Upon arrival, they found a man suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Around 11:15 p.m., police responded to the 1400 block of Coalter Street near Littlepage Street for another report of a shooting and found a man suffering from a gunshot wound in a stairwell outside of a residence. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

These are the 37th and 38th homicides in Richmond in 2017. These are the 8th and 9th homicides in the East End this year, all of which have come in either Mosby or Whitcomb.

Arrest made in Blakey Street killing

ABC store on Venable St broken into

Redd Street Homicide – Arrest Made

Chris
Chris

If only the mayor was focused on the issues that REALLY mattered.

J
J

Mosby is back! What’s that 7 for Mosby?

Kay9
Kay9

@2…I was thinking the same thing. It’s unbelievable to me that our political “leaders” have so much time to stir the political pot in an obvious effort to divide yet, do nothing to begin solving the outrageous murder problem in this city. Stoney, McAuliffe, Bourne, the idiot Northam, absolutely disgust me!

Chris
Chris

I wonder if my health insurance rate would increase if I listed Coalter Street as my permanent address?

MHB
MHB

@2 & 5…. Totally agree.

willywhipperjones
willywhipperjones

It’s almost kinda weird how little fairfield court is in the news. That place looks worse than mosby, and much worse than gilpin.

Michael Grabow
Michael Grabow
2020 years ago

FB_10202668046299955

Will Hall
Will Hall

@kay Their not going to solve the murder/crime problem Richmond has. It’s been like this for decades. The city has to keep the jail and penitentiaries filled since they generate so much revenue for the Commonwealth.Crime is big business. If the city wanted to tear down the projects, They would of done it in the 90s. Don’t let these politicians fool you

Dubois2
Dubois2

In the overlap of instructional racism and institutional classism, we have mega projects where often only people who are poor and black live. In a zone in which…. politicians need not actually work but only and occasionally pander, where the opportunity to worsen oneself through a new addiction or proximity to violence is more available that its opposite, and where identity itself shows that these institutions make their people generation by generation. Sad to see us so institutiinalozed that we will fight for our kids to stay in the projects, and for the projects to stay up around our kids.… Read more »

J
J

@ #8 whillywhipperjones

Are you sure about that? I rather get out the car in Fairfield than Gilpin lol.Gilpin Court has drug dealers and looks on the third floors of a lot of there buildings and spaced out sentry like on the ground floors and breezeways. Pretty intimidating if you ask me to stop at adoro sign with 30 people hanging on the corner fighting for the sale.

Liz
Liz

Agree with Chris. We have a problem with our teenagers shooting and killing each other. Grandstanding about the statues on Monument Avenue is not going to fix this. We need to focus our energies on schools and our poverty which keeps people in these projects and leads these kids to believe this is the only way of life. It breaks my heart.

Mark
Mark

Yes C & L: News lines from RTD in 4 yrs after they are gone. *SOL’s tanked again in RPS by 7% last year. council votes to give them additional 2 mil. * The 12 school children brought in to VCU with respiratory illness have all been released ok. Air quality tests are being done now and the results will be released when available, wink, wink. The child with the head wound from falling debris is still in VCU. *RVA saw an improvement in crime this week with only 3 murders and 7 shot and wounded. Up for reelection Mayor… Read more »

Lee
Lee

@ Will Hall – I doubt the state or the city make any money off of the city jails or state prisons, but if you have any info showing they do I would be interested to see it. (Not a comment on anything else you said, just that.)

Will Hall
Will Hall

@lee I’m not going to get into a long discussion about this, but research the private prison for profit industry. We have one private prison here in Virginia called Lawrenceville correctional center. Look it up. They have qutoas, and these prisons make money when beds are filled.States have to pay taxes when these beds aren’t filled. The city makes money from court fines, lawyer fees, the city jail charges inmates two dollars a day, you have to pay $100 to be on probation and house arrest. Call the probation office downtown Richmond and ask them about the probation fees. Jails… Read more »

Unicia
Unicia

I am praying for family, friends and loved ones of Broderick Jones. May you find some peace and comfort during this terrible time in your life.

Unicia
Unicia

Also, I am praying for family, friends and loved ones of Justin Townsend. May you find some peace and comfort during this terrible time in your life.

Nicole
Nicole

Thank you Unicia. I am the mother of Justin Townsend and I greatly appreciate your prayers. My son was in that area visiting a so called girlfriend who was part of the part of the death of my son. We just hope the people who seen this happen would come forward.

Nicole
Nicole

Please excuse my typo, I just get very emotional when writing about my son.