Assessments up a bit in most areas

The 2018 reassessments are in the mail and online and a spot check around the neighborhood show some flat assessments but more increases – especially near the parks and in Church Hill North (though nothing like 2005…). How’s yours?

Whitcomb, Fairfield property value increase percentages among the highest in the city

2019 Property Assessments are now available!

Assessments mostly flat, Church Hill and Union Hill see increases

John M

PTG
PTG

Significant increase at the house on 20th, maybe 9% if I’m remembering correctly; while we made some improvements, nothing externally, or that the assessor would know about.

Alex Goodmundson
Alex Goodmundson
2020 years ago

FB_1206119449424292

Annonymous
Annonymous

Important to note that a lot of the assessments went up because the LAND value went up, not because anything was done to the home itself to make its value increase. This is what happens when a neighborhood becomes popular and something us old time Church Hillians have to deal with in order to have neighbors who actually take care of their properties rather than let them be in ruins. Also, if your street/block wasn’t “desirable” a year or two ago and is now since the area improvements are moving out from Broad, then that is another reason your home… Read more »

Bill Hartsock
Bill Hartsock

Mine went up 10% and the land value went up 33%. With all that new found money I hope they can cut the grass more often!

Brad Shupp
Brad Shupp

= higher taxes

ich1967
ich1967

Assessments are “up a bit” is quite an understatement. Mine went up 27% without any improvement around the area. I guess the famous East End Festival needs more funding.

Alison Porpora
Alison Porpora
2020 years ago

FB_10211913259128604

Michael Grabow
Michael Grabow
2020 years ago

FB_10202668046299955

Dave
Dave

Mine is up 43% on East Marshall 1 block off Chimborazo Park…

Clay Street
Clay Street

Bet you a dollar all these people complaining about how their property assessments went up a little bit & are now bitching about marginal increase in taxes are ignoring the reality that the market rate for their homes is very likely at least 30%-50% above the assessed value.
Give me a break.

CQ
CQ

Mine went up over 25% with no improvement. I went to the city to asked how they come up with that number but it appears that the assessment value is just subjective since they were unable to explain it to me and does not seem to be comparable to similar properties on my block. I filed an appeal.

@6 Dave, we are neighbors but they did not get me that bad! I am complaining about ~26%, I am not sure what would do if the increase was 43%.

CQ
CQ

Everyone:

Here is the link for you to appeal in case you think the assessment value is not fair:

Kathi Sanders
Kathi Sanders

Yea, ‘a bit’ is right!! Gotta close that budget gap!!

Kathi Sanders
Kathi Sanders
2020 years ago

FB_10210217862070687

Natalie Patiño
Natalie Patiño

Does anyone know how to dispute? My home says it’s worth much less on zillow and other sites

Brandon R'lyeh
Brandon R'lyeh
2020 years ago

FB_10210246546194543

Spacecat
Spacecat

Mine went up 48% in Fulton. That’s a hard pill to swallow.

Dave
Dave

@7…you don’t know what you’re talking about. 1 house gets gutted and completely renovated, then sells high, and the city decides everything around it must be worth a lot more if someone paid X for that property. Happens all the time. No major improvements made and I know I don’t get to sell this week for 30-50% above my new assessment like you say.

Clay Street
Clay Street

Then dispute the assessment, Dave 😉

Joshua Champagne
Joshua Champagne
2020 years ago

FB_1528534177160811

Emily Klinedinst
Emily Klinedinst

Mine is still exactly the same

Lee
Lee

@11 – Natalie: Zillow estimates and similar online estimates are notoriously inaccurate. Just web search “zillow estimate accuracy” and you’ll find dozens of articles from reputable newspapers (sorry, typing this on my phone and it won’t let me copy and paste for some reason) explaining why. Generally, Zillow estimates are within five percent only have the time – and five percent isn’t great. The other half of the time they are usually wildly inaccurate.

Guess my point is the tax assessor isn’t likely to care.

Lee
Lee

@13 Dave – typically, that one house that was renovated had substantial upside (I.e. The seller spent $175,000 buying it and renovating it and sold it for $250,000), meaning the homes on the block that aren’t renovated are effectively underutilized, as are any empty lots. You should, in fact be able to sell your home for more money if the neighboring homes are renovated and sold for relatively high prices because it demonstrates that there is potential profit in renovating your home. You would probably make even more on the sell, of course, if you renovated and sold it yourself.… Read more »

Gorana Bacic
Gorana Bacic
2020 years ago

FB_10103416295383791

Neighbor
Neighbor

Higher property assessments means higher taxes, and raises the cost of rentals. I know many of us on this blog think gentrification is bad, but higher property values, rent, and taxes pushes the riff-raff out. Isn’t that what we all want?

Kathleen
Kathleen

Neighbor: Gentrification is NOT about riff raff!! It’s about pushing out stable people who have lived in their homes for years. I’m all for pushing out the low lifes – the type of people that are in this area because no one pays attention to the bad things they do and they like it that way. There are a lot of people in my area of Church Hill ((Chimborazo) that are 2nd or 3rd generation living in the home they grew up in. I do not want to lose those neighbors.

Melinda Skinner
Melinda Skinner

And the real estate assessments are what created the real gentrification that is not about race but about economics. Church Hill has a long history of diversity… until the 90s, when developers and speculators caught on to the changes happening. Instead of the diversity in race, gender, age, sexual orientation, creative artistry, and so much more that made us move and buy homes in Church Hill in the 60s-90s, the area has become “The Junior Fan District” pushing out those of lesser means and a real engagement with neighbors. It’s what happens everywhere, but it’s still very sad to see… Read more »

PFT
PFT

up 22% this year, and 31% last year. Clay st. near Chimborazo Park. If the city has a goal of making sure only the well-off can afford to live in CH, they’re doing great. For those who aspire to things other than money (we riff-raff), I suppose our days are numbered.

Neighbor
Neighbor

Kathleen:

If someone has lived in a house for generations then I expect there shouldn’t be a mortgage, all they are paying is taxes. If someone is living in house they got for free and can’t even pay the taxes, or if they refinanced to use the house as an ATM, that sounds like people who made a lot of bad choices with their lives and their money. That’s exactly the definition of riff-raff if you ask me.