Suggest a roofer for a metal roof?

I’m a Church Hill resident on 31st ST and was looking through the CHPN to try to find some recommendations for a good metal and copper roofer in the area — or, to post on the blog to see if I could get some recommendations. I didn’t have any luck with referrals in the CHA Newsletter.

Any thoughts on how I could get some roofer recommendations? I see a lot of copper and metal roofs in the neighborhood, so surely somebody must have had some good experiences. Could I put up a post on the CHPN? Or is there another/better forum for this type of thing?

Noisy Neighbors (and Nameless Communities)

Do you know anything about the old Garnett Print Shop?

John M

Help for Christmas?

John M

Andrew Lyon
Andrew Lyon

I recommend Joe Heller. He redid our copper porch roof in the old style.

(804) 368-7752
J.D. Heller Specialty Roofing & Carpentry

crd
crd

Jamie Ryland specializes in metal roofing. 648-4525. He has an office on East Marshall, 2100 or 2200 block.

crd
crd

What was the problem with referrals in the CHA newsletter? They don’t list them in the paper anymore, but they are supposed to be online at their website.

John Whitworth
John Whitworth

I have used Ed Unser of City Tin and Copper – 804-366-5844 for two roofs. His work is excellent and he stands behind it 100%.
John

Jen Cook-Asaro
Jen Cook-Asaro

We used Hermitage Roofing for maintenance/repairs on our metal roof. Minus a couple of office errors, we were happy with the quality of their work.

L
L

I am not a roofer, so do your own research, but: The original terne metal (mixture of tin and lead) is not available anymore. Most of the replacement materials either won’t look like the original roof, are really expensive, or both. However, if it isn’t leaking, but is rusty/worn out looking, you can have it coated with “silver dollar”/fibered aluminum coating which generally looks pretty good if done properly. If it has really minor leaks, you might be able to just use this coating (even though it isn’t technically designed as a sealant). If you have leaks, you can patch… Read more »

L
L

^^^ Sorry. Forgot to mention – and this is important – once you start coating with fibered aluminum, you want to keep doing it periodically, ideally BEFORE it becomes a problem again.

Allen Davis
Allen Davis

Jamie Ryland is a "old roof" specialist working in Church Hill. He did repairs to my box gutters on 27th St. I would ask him for an estimate. He’s very busy & hard to get hold of. 894-314-5372. My neighbor used RW Harper & Son.

Alex Goodmundson
Alex Goodmundson

Hurtless brothers did ours as a repair job and it was affordable and it fixed my water leaks and gave a me a 3 year warranty on repairs if new roof they give like a 20 year warranty.

Terrapin Marquis
Terrapin Marquis

Saunders Roofing. Good work on our tin roof.

bds
bds

@crd — The referrals on the newsletter are where I started, but having tried all of them, I found that 1) the number is no longer in service or 2) the person never responded.

Bill Hartsock
Bill Hartsock

Hertless is my go-to roofer for everything.

UnionHillian
UnionHillian

I concur on the Jamie Ryland recommdation. Here’s the last # I had:
804-648-4525

crd
crd

@11 bds, thanks for that info.

Ben
Ben

Ed Unser w/ City Tin and Copper is awesome and did a great job on our new copper porch roof, although the picture above looks like a tin roof. Unless you have $$$$ you’re probably better off trying to repair it on a roof that large.

Andrew Caleb
Andrew Caleb

Saunders Roofing was easy to work with and they provided a decent warranty.

Harvey Watkins
Harvey Watkins

If you haven’t chosen a roofer yet you can check out Richmond Metal Roofing at richmondmetalroofing.com

Patrick Lewi
Patrick Lewi

Joe Heller Roofing. (804) 368-7752. I have heard good reports about his work from way up here