CREDIBLE RUMOR has it that there is a proposal in the works to relocate George Mason Elementary School to the East End Middle School that currently houses Franklin Military Academy, with Franklin moving to one of the system’s unused school buildings.
It sounds like the move would lay the groundwork for building a new school at the George Mason location that would house both George Mason and Chimborazo schools.
Classes at the first school for African-American students in the Church Hill vicinity were held in rented rooms near 26th and N Streets in 1869. In 1881, a four-room frame building was erected at 29th and O Street, joined by an additional brick structures in 1887. The two schools were known as the East End School until 1909 when the name was changed to George Mason. Additions came in 1922, 1936, 1951, and 1979.
Founded in 1980, Franklin Military Academy was the first public military school in the nation, and is currently in its 4th location.