Crime

Cars rifled on 32nd Street

Anyone?

My wife and I both had our cars broken into (and rifled through) last night on N 32nd St. She didn’t notice anything missing; I had an iPhone cable and a pack of gum taken, but not my EZ pass or any loose change.

We’re both pretty sure that we locked our cars yesterday, and there was no sign of forced entry. However, we both have Priuses with keyless entry systems and are wondering if someone has figured out how to “hack” them. Have you heard of any similar incidents?

Richmond police investigating three shootings that happened overnight Monday and left one person dead and three injured

Crime Beat: What’s happening in the neighborhood?

CHPN

Skip the tab Alert: Patrick Henry Pub

CHPN

Lani 06/01/2017 at 5:08 PM

My car was opened and items were taken from it last week on 32nd and E Grace. (boxing gloves, sunglasses, coins, umbrella..thankfully I don’t have expensive things in there) I always lock my car and the alarm didn’t go off. Im not sure if I made a mistake and didn’t lock it or if the thieves are just getting better.

mike 06/01/2017 at 8:22 PM

what block?

Brian 06/01/2017 at 10:16 PM

Same happened to me early last week, right in front of the Chimbo market. I always check multiple times that I lock my car, but either they were doing something more than just checking doors, or they happened to come through the ONE night I’ve ever left my car unlocked since moving here. If you’ve ever had pop-a-lock come and get you out of a jam, it’s amazing how easy most cars are easy to get into.

Kathleen 06/02/2017 at 6:40 AM

There is a group of young men that go through the neighborhood in the early morning hours – usually 3 or 4 am. They walk down the middle of the street trying all the car doors and looking for stuff to steal out of people’s yards. I’ve watched them in action on my block of N 32nd at least twice. If they see car headlights, they head to the alleys.

Ebony 06/02/2017 at 9:10 AM

Same thing happened to me earlier last week. I live on 29th and R St.

Joe 06/02/2017 at 10:16 AM

My roommate saw people checking for unlocked doors on 19th/Cedar street Wednesday night. He called the cops and reported it.

Probably just people that tried another part of Church Hill.

Diana Palese 06/02/2017 at 2:18 PM

Call the nonemergency police if u see people being sketch !!!

Resident 06/03/2017 at 7:43 PM

I think someone has a device to open electronic locks. I know I locked my car and two days in the past week it has been unlocked.

Resident 06/07/2017 at 11:19 PM

My car was unlocked again last night! No rifling. My car will lock and the horn will blow if touched without a key present. It is still unnerving.