Food

Take the East End Ice Cream Shop Survey!

Lawson says:

I am endeavoring to open an Ice Cream shop in my neighborhood (so fun, right?). For locals, please consider taking my survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5ZX8V3L

For non-locals and locals, feel free to reach out to me with connections, ideas, donations of your services :), or to tell me I am crazy. All comments welcome as I research and start this new small business.’

Scoopiversary Party today at 26th and Nine Mile from 3p until 9ish! Sunday 9/1

Urban Hope hires Lawson Wijesooriya as Director of Development and Strategy Richmond, Virginia

Megan Rickman-Blackwood

Market @ 25th St Opening Day!

Katherine Jester 05/16/2017 at 3:23 PM

Yippee! So happy! Every summer, I want a custard stand.

Sarah Blackburn 05/16/2017 at 3:29 PM

Yes! Nate Blackburn and I talk all the time about how we wish there was a walkable ice cream shop.

Nate Blackburn 05/16/2017 at 3:38 PM

Truth!

Chelsea Harnish 05/16/2017 at 3:42 PM

So I just went to take the survey and it’s not clear if 1 is good or if 5 is good. That should be clarified.

Tammie Lyle 05/16/2017 at 3:46 PM

Someone please put one on Marshall st.

HW 05/16/2017 at 4:54 PM

Take over the old Dog & Pig space, unless those rumors are true, and place don’t close before quitting time for office drones.

Emma Hines 05/16/2017 at 4:16 PM

YES!! Fingers crossed this comes to fruition!

Jess Houser 05/16/2017 at 4:20 PM

It would only let me rank them from 1 to 4, and each item had to be a different number. I considered 1 to be most liked and 4 to be least liked.

Jess Houser 05/16/2017 at 4:21 PM

Yes, we need this!

25th Street Michael 05/16/2017 at 6:10 PM

I’m with you @ HW!!
Nice little neighborhood spot for milkshakes, soft serve, etc.
Nothing fancy. Kinda like Carl’s in Fredericksburg.

DontMinceWords 05/16/2017 at 6:49 PM

Fun! Since Richmond is usually 7 years behind the times, we might be on schedule for a acai/smoothie bar. This was hot in my old neighborhood: http://www.backyardbowls.com/#about A nice alt for folks who can’t do dairy.

Karen 05/16/2017 at 7:25 PM

Chelsea Harnish it said RANK them not rate. So chose your most favorite (1) down to least favorite (4)

Karen Smith 05/16/2017 at 6:27 PM

Rank not rate

Roseanne Adams 05/16/2017 at 10:22 PM

something that uses a sweetener besides cane sugar!!! Allergies keep me from eating most ice cream.

Kathi Sanders 05/16/2017 at 9:42 PM

I recently spent some time in Jersey City while visiting NYC. The neighborhood had this great corner ice cream store. Nothing fancy at all – just a cute and clean shop with lots of great scoop ice creams, waffle, sugar and cake cones, sundaes and milk shakes. The place was packed every night, even on weeknights. All the fancy gelatos and stuff are great but you limit your sales to people who like gelato and can afford it. Everyone likes ice cream and a cone is always affordable. Bring it on!

Michela W A 05/16/2017 at 11:50 PM

Learn from the mistakes of the last ice cream shop. Have your prices posted and don’t charge likes it’s got gold flakes in it, train the staff so they can serve people efficiently, and don’t have such an extensive menu that it overwhealms you. Best of luck!

Phil 05/17/2017 at 8:27 AM

Maybe go in with the Craft Kolache space – makes sense to help pay for the rent and it’s only a block from my home…. so there’s that

Hannah Sullivan 05/17/2017 at 8:50 AM

Open up a Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams !!!! There is one in Charleston that I always visit when I am there. Super cute take on old school ice cream spot. Flavors include sweet cream biscuits & peach jam, cocoa curry, genmaicha & marshmellow, gooey butter cake, and brown butter almond brittle (my personal favorite) . There is always a line out the door and it’s an instant classic!!

ray 05/17/2017 at 11:50 AM

Focus on the biggest market of people who just like regular ice cream.

Gluten free, farm sourced, sugar cane free products and the like are all great, but in order to succeed the focus should be what appeals to the most people. Once you establish that for the biggest market, then you can see if you can make it work for the folks who have more particular needs and wants.

25th ST Mike 05/17/2017 at 12:46 PM

Karen @ 12…Guess I screwed up my ranking then. I went the opposite direction.
Also totally agree with Kathi @ 15. Too deep and expensive a menu cuts out a lot of potential customers. Makes it unaffordable to many in the neighborhood.

Lee 05/17/2017 at 3:33 PM

Bevs in carytown seems to do a good job of having a range of options/something for everyone, without being overwhelming. They have more conventional flavors on their regular menu and then also have a t least one sugar free option, a gelato, a frozen yogurt, and a sorbet that rotate/change on a regular basis. I think we can have plain vanilla but also have sweet corn with basil and chili in the same shop, as long as most of the flavors are more conventional. I don’t think it needs to be locally sourced/organic/etc., just homemade and creative.

Allie Leff Parsons 05/17/2017 at 3:51 PM

Done! Thanks!!

Shell Harris 05/21/2017 at 9:43 AM

Done and done. Took about 5 minutes. Looking forward to this.

Does my vote count ? 05/22/2017 at 12:58 AM

I don’t understand the questions. Help?