Crime

How to fight blatant drug sales in the park?

a guest post by Will Hall

I live on Conrad Street, directly across the street from Conrad Park in the East view community of the East End. This past Saturday, an arrest was made on the corner of Wood/Conrad street, and I sat on my porch and watched the entire incident.

I’ve been in Eastview for six years, and my neighbors and I have noticed a lot of drug transactions/sales that take place in this park.

Those involved in these drug sales don’t care about who see’s them, because most of the time, it’s done while we’re sitting on the porch, and doing yard work. My neighbors and I have called the police, and even took pictures of license plates, but nothing stops them, and it seems as if this park has become a place simply where drug transactions take place.

I know that similar incidents take place in Luck’s Field on T street. Has any one seen this in other parks in the East End? What action do you recommend?

Update: two victims on 900 block 31st

Hill Cafe armed robbery late Thursday night/early Friday morning

Richmond police investigating three shootings that happened overnight Monday and left one person dead and three injured

John M 03/28/2017 at 7:57 AM

Do y’all have a neighborhood association? The Sector 113 Lieutenant comes to our monthly meeting, and it’s been a good way over the years to keep our issues in front of the police department.

Anna Danit 03/28/2017 at 7:00 AM

Invest in decent RVA school system

Will Hall 03/28/2017 at 8:08 AM

We talk amongst ourselves but we don’t have any group meetings. I’m thinking about starting one.

Aaron S. Brown 03/28/2017 at 7:13 AM

Unleash your dogs and let them run around the park!

Liz O 03/28/2017 at 8:28 AM

John’s advice is solid. Requesting a more constant police presence may help. There’s a meeting tonight (03/28) at the Family Resource Center on Jefferson Ave with Councilwoman Newbille. Come ask her to be your advocate for getting more police involvement.

Seth Alexander Prestwidge Barch 03/28/2017 at 8:16 AM

Legalize it.

Clay Street 03/28/2017 at 9:37 AM

Maybe set up a Twitter just for this (obviously one that is not tied to your individual personal identity) and tweet photos and details @RichmondPolice, the mayor and local news stations. Newbille has a twitter as well.

Will Hall 03/28/2017 at 11:08 AM

@6. Thats a good idea.thats what I’m going to do regarding a Twitter profile. I wish I would of thought of that! Thanks for the information from everyone else!

Kiya Stokes 03/28/2017 at 11:19 AM

Work with your sector lieutenant to develop a strategic plan. His name is Michael Alston and he is very accessible. His number is 804-646-3387 and his e-mail address is Michael.alston@richmondgov.com

Will Hall 03/28/2017 at 1:49 PM

Thanks Kiya. I’m waiting for your email response as well lol. We talked a week ago regarding the land where Whitcomb elementary sits. Remember?

Heather Williams 03/28/2017 at 5:50 PM

Hold up a sign that says I see you and I’m telling! Ha

Neighbor 03/30/2017 at 1:04 PM

And when you hold up a sign letting the drug dealers know you are a snitch, make sure you are prepared to accept the retaliation. I don’t want to see people whining on here that they got a baseball bat to their car windshield, a brick thrown threw their window, or even shot.