Three mixed-use projects coming online this summer

Three new mixed-use new-construction projects underway will augment the area’s live/walk urban mix by bringing 25 new apartments, a community/event space and 3 new commercial spaces online between May and October of this year.

[sep]

Patrick Henry Square

Sterling Bilder’s Patrick Henry Square, in the works since late 2013 and aiming to be completed in May, is a conversion of the old Nolde Garage and a parking lot into mixed-use complex tucked up behind Patrick Henry Park. The development will have 18 apartments, a 4,200 square foot townhouse, and 6,500 square feet of commercial space. There will also be a community/event space that will be open to the public during certain hours.

“I’m excited about the development coming on line, ” says Josh Bilder. “I consider it an honor to be building in Church Hill. Without the people of the Church Hill and the City of Richmond believing in me and supporting me I wouldn’t have been able to do this.”

While it was reported that an optometrist would be taking the commercial space, this has fallen through and Bilder is still seeking a tenant.

[sep]

32nd and Marshall

Urban Core’s project at 32nd and Marshall streets is converting an empty lot along one of the neighborhood’s natural commercial corridors into 3 apartments and a commercial space. The spaces should be for lease in June or July, to be available in August.

The commercial space is available. “We would love a restaurant or other service based business,” Jeff Bunch from Urban Core says. “Office would be fine. Something that offers services to the neighborhood would be ideal in our eyes.”

[sep]

23rd and Jessamine Street

Matt Jarreau’s building in the triangle on 23rd Street will really get going this summer, and should be completed by September/October of this year.

This will bring 4 apartments and a commercial space – potentially a restaurant with a patio on the point.

“I would love a restaurant concept to go in that space,” Jarreau says. “I am sold on it being an asset to the community overall vs retail or an office of sorts.”

Kahlo’s Taqueria & Bar opens Tuesday

North End Juice Coming Soon to The Hill

Jacob C.

3S Yoga Coming to the Hill!!!

Jacob C.

FB_10154893466154090

Mark Kronenthal
Mark Kronenthal

FB_10154823233251649

JessOfRVA
JessOfRVA

Where the hell are 25+ new cars going to park for the Patrick Henry Square project??? It’s already a beast to park around that intersection.

JessOfRVA

FB_10153979184800877

Amy George
Amy George

FB_10103932598662806

Union
Union

I’m so tired of people’s first response being OMG WHAT ABOUT THE PARKING?

Other cities, other areas make it happen. Brooklyn, Carytown, Shockoe, more. New neighbors new services, less blight less space wasted on stupid surface parking lots.

Lora Toothman
Lora Toothman

FB_10157991162170483

Steven Summerville
Steven Summerville

FB_10202520247683271

Leigh Ann Woodley
Leigh Ann Woodley

FB_797727486188

SupportPublicTransportation
SupportPublicTransportation

@Union – Right on! The folks concerned about parking should be advocating for public transportation, ZIP cars, bike lanes, etc. You do live in a CITY. As a transplant to the area, mass transit is woefully inadequate here.

Holly
Holly

23rd and Jessamine is going to be so terrible. What about the tiny cottage across the street from it? The new construction just doesn’t fit.

JackD
JackD

Holly is absolutely right. There’s a tiny cottage on 23rd st. Nothing above 1 story should be built in Union Hill. Allnew construction should be tiny…like cottage

ilya
ilya

Why the assumption that every apartment will have a car to go with it?

Leland Höth
Leland Höth

Somebody should build a GD grocery store

JessOfRVA
JessOfRVA

Here’s the thing–public transit isn’t there yet. So in the mean time, yeah, I’m going to complain about parking. We aren’t Brooklyn. And if you’re going to say that Shockoe doesn’t have a parking problem, I guess you have had better luck than I have finding a spot down there on your run of the mill evening. I support public transportation, both in its expansion and its use (who wouldn’t!), but until I have an option that allows me to get to my office in Innsbrook, it isn’t my option, so I have to drive.

William Bagby
William Bagby

Still waiting on the one that’s supposed to be at Fairmount & 25th. Almost make me wish Community Pride was still around. People can say all they want about Johnny Johnson but at least he cared about neighborhoods enough to have his grocery stores there

Gretta
Gretta

Also, people rarely take into account that a lot of people aren’t physically able to walk everywhere they need to. There is no way I could walk 10 blocks every few days with a bunch of groceries. Or even walk downtown everyday for work. Not everyone is young and fit! So yes, I need my car, even if I did walk downtown to work. And how I am supposed to go see my friends on the southside or Short Pump? Or go to Target/Lowes? Get real, this is not NYC, this a suburban-ish car city. So yes, 18 apartments will… Read more »

Holly
Holly

Hahah @JackD, not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I agree completely. Everything should be tiny…like cottage. Keep Union Hill charming.

BAF
BAF

@10William Bagby

Let’s be honest. Johnny cared about the neighborhoods to put his stores there because the Ukrops gave him money to do so. That was far simpler for them than having to explain why they wouldn’t put their own stores into those locations.

Alex Goodmundson
Alex Goodmundson

FB_1206119449424292

Nick
Nick

Parking in Richmond isn’t an issue, full stop. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t have a good frame of reference.

I for one am very excited about the development in the area and am glad the neighborhood is becoming an attractive destination for investment.

Paul
Paul

The construction fencing is already consuming somewhere roughly between 15 and 18 spots combined across both 24th streets and Marshall Streets. So will adding another 25 cars to the neighborhood create a parking crunch? Maybe a little. But many of residents of Patrick Henry Square will just park in areas the construction fencing now is occupying anyway…

Scott Tilghman
Scott Tilghman

FB_10154864061539225

Kay9
Kay9

@14…”Parking in Richmond isn’t an issue, full stop.” Your **opinion** is short-sighted, at best. If an elderly or handicapped person cannot get parking fairly close to their home, it’s certainly an issue for them. Many current residents don’t have off-street parking and they didn’t sign up for a block+ walk whenever they purchased their home in Union Hill or Church Hill. Your frame of reference is not their frame of reference. I’ll bet you were nowhere to be found when these folks took a chance on the neighborhood when it wasn’t “an attractive destination for investment”.

Matt Conrad
Matt Conrad

I’m for what @Nick said (although I reserve the right to complain about the next cheap, thoughtless, hardie-panel box dropped in the neighborhood).

Within broad boundaries, the desirability of our neighborhood is a good thing.

Why
Why

Yesss! #6 I agree!! Trader Joe’s would make a KILLING replacing FarmFresh and Starbucks would replacing the McDonalds on Broad!!

Rainie Bishop
Rainie Bishop

FB_10154786571288518

Tracy
Tracy

Soooooo excited for these new projects happening in Church Hill!!!! I love the potential for more small and local businesses. Let’s try to stay positive!

JessOfRVA
JessOfRVA

Are they going to permanently get rid of the bus stop that’s been temporarily taken down next to the Patrick Henry Square location?

booster
booster

23rd and Jessamine is a great project – that triangle lot calls out for this. With the looming mega church on. the. same. block. as the tiny cottage, no one can say with seriousness that the horse hasn’t left the barn on height. Hopefully that mega church right there has agreed to a shared parking scenario. It’s very good to locate uses like 23rd and Jessamine that need parking near the churches who have already done the job of clear cutting houses for parking.

J
J

This is so great. I’m so happy that these places are going to increase density.

I’m also extremely happy that they have little to no surface parking. Surface parking is a disease to property value provides no value in entertainment.

ilya
ilya

Can’t handicapped people get a reserved spot? I don’t own a car but when I rent one I never have a problem parking in Shockoe Bottom. I may have to walk a couple of blocks if it’s a weekend night. If you really have 10 grocery bags (how often does this happen?) you can double park for a few minutes. It shouldn’t be a problem on a residential street like 24th or Clay. It’s annoying how every thread becomes a fight about parking. Just remember, streets are for people – not a place to store your two ton heap of… Read more »

HW
HW

The bigger concern which this thread illustrates is an utter lack of planning. I lived on the 2300 block of Marshall for a year. This will be a localized nightmare for a couple reasons. none of the houses on Marshall have off street parking, and you’ve got a couple elderly folks on on 24th and on Marshall with a mix of reserved handi spaces and cars that simply don’t move as much as cars in cities need to. Then you throw in the fire station, which necessarily hoovers parking along 24th. Yeah, that’s gonna suck, but some planning could sorted… Read more »