Meeting to address concerns with Citadel of Hope proposal

From the Union Hill neighbors Facebook group:

At Tricycle Gardens 6:00pm this Wednesday evening (01/04) there will be a meeting between Union Hill residents and Councilwoman Newbille. We have asked her to meet in order to address our concerns over the BHC development being appealed to city council.

This development, 52 units of affordable housing spread between three apartment buildings, was presented at the November 22nd CAR meeting. The structures include the current Citadel of Hope being refurbished to house 12 units, one new three-story apartment building on Venable to house four units and two commercial spaces, and one new three-story apartment building on Jessamine street to hold 36 units.

Union Hill residents turned out in force to oppose the project, citing social and safety implications of the central parking lot, the scale of the 36 unit buildings, and the aesthetic of the design.

The Commission of Architectural Review rejected the proposal at their November meeting. It is expected that the developer (Better Housing Coalition) will seek to have City Council override the ruling.

RTD candidate questionnaires for Newbille and Rogers

Stoney, Newbille lead the money race

Newbille and Rogers at Fulton Candidates’ Forum on Tuesday

ray
ray

Has Cynthia Newbille taken a position on this?

Alex Goodmundson
Alex Goodmundson
2020 years ago

FB_1206119449424292

Rebecca Parker
Rebecca Parker

Rents will only stabilize if housing stock increases. And rent in Church Hill is getting ridiculous.

Jay McGee
Jay McGee
Reply to  Rebecca Parker

The addition of affordable housing will have no effect on the traditional rental market rates.

Ano Ali
Ano Ali

I don’t understand but can someone explain to me what are the social and safety implications associated with the parking lot ?

Rebecca Parker
Rebecca Parker
Reply to  Rebecca Parker

True, subsidized housing with income limits won’t lower normal rates. It might lower the amount that people like me, with full time jobs that don’t pay much, are willing to pay. I can tell you we’re tired of every new apartment that’s built being “luxury” with fancy interiors to try to convince us to pay more. In any case, Church Hill needs affordable housing. Wages in Richmond are not high enough to justify these thousand dollar one bedrooms. To afford that you need to make over 30k/year, which is not an income almost anyone I know has access to. I’m… Read more »

Ano Ali
Ano Ali

Thanks John. My response to number four. I agree with what you’re saying but Church Hill has changed and it’s not going backwards. Me and my wife right now has a home in east view and our rent has been the same for three years. But eventually that part of Church hill is going to be gentrified so I’m trying to convince her to move now.

James M
James M

Any update on how this went?