East End News

Everyone OK after crack-up on Broad Street

Jason-on-the-spot sends in this early morning accident at 28th and Broad Street, saying that everyone seems ok – “just bruised sedans and egos, I’d say. Must’ve been moving pretty fast, tho. That’s no fender bender.”

Local Projects Considered for CAR

21st and East Broad Street

East End Bike Bike Tour

Kathy Albers 12/14/2016 at 8:50 AM

I am not surprised, cars race through the stop signs, with parked cars and the sun it’s hard to see what is coming down Broad as you pull out. Yesterday I almost got hit and blew my horn when the car ran the stop sign, the driver gave me the finger.

Kathy Albers
Kathy Albers 12/14/2016 at 8:51 AM

Daniel Meehan
Daniel Meehan 12/14/2016 at 8:51 AM

Driving too fast and people don’t stop at the intersections. Watched a car the other night drive straight down Broad not stoping once from 25th until they hit a red light at 29th.

Ashley Dawn Goodmundson
Ashley Dawn Goodmundson 12/14/2016 at 9:18 AM

that looks pretty bad

Havis L. Wright
Havis L. Wright 12/14/2016 at 10:05 AM

Hmmmm…a big issue i’ve noticed is the lack of prominence of stop signs along Broad. I think folks would balk at reflective lights on the stops signs, but seems either that or reflective striping on the stop lines would make drivers more aware and pedestrians safer.

Rebecca Parker
Rebecca Parker 12/14/2016 at 10:09 AM

Everyone knows that at an intersection it’s their job to look for stop signs. Not seeing it is a terrible excuse that means you were going too fast in the first place.

crd 12/14/2016 at 10:30 AM

I tried to pull onto Broad at 26th the other day and someone came flying down from 25th, never even braked, and kept on flying right through several stop signs. I honked but they didn’t slow down enough to fly me the bird, just kept rolling.

twitter_dontmincewords 12/14/2016 at 11:23 AM

This can all be solve with…… more traffic circles 😉

R. 12/14/2016 at 11:34 AM

Speed humps? The Fan has them. Let the speedsters bottom out.

JessOfRVA 12/14/2016 at 1:41 PM

Saw something similar almost happen the other day right by my house at 24th and Marshall. The construction equipment and trailer are blocking the view of cars heading west. Slow down folks and check, check, check for cars!!

Clay Street 12/14/2016 at 2:25 PM

This is reminding me, what was the situation at 25th & Marshall last night around 5:30? There was a terrible accident it looked like, or it seemed like it–they had a full hook and ladder and other emergency vehicles completely blocking the intersection right at the corner next to Church Hill Vet. I had been going west of Marshall but U-turned and detoured out of there and then saw that a GRTC bus got locked up after I’d driven away and was probably not able to turn around…

Clay Street 12/14/2016 at 2:26 PM

I had been going EAST on Marshall, meant to say ^^

Julia H 12/14/2016 at 3:15 PM

I was the driver of the white car! To the guy in the scrubs who came to my check on me and comfort me is an angel!! Thank you so much! Thank you to the guy on 28th who came out of his house to check on me! The police, ambulance and the fire guys were all very nice and top notch! So proud to have you protect and help in this neighborhood! The sun was really bright this morning, which can certainly be a distraction at intersections!! The guy who hit me was very upstanding and unhurt, which is great! It simply was an accident! Be careful out there!

WarGibFA 12/14/2016 at 4:12 PM

Glad you are alright, Julia… sometimes there’s nothing like bad situations, to bring out the best in people.

Juanito 12/15/2016 at 7:27 AM

Driving in CH can be an adventure approaching NOVA which takes a very special knowledge and mind set.

My wish for Christmas would be for the RPD to make some stops (E Franklin/N 29th; E Broad/N 23rd; – I’m sure everyone has their own favorites) just to slow things down a bit and make drivers understand that CH is not the Wild, Wild West.

Eric S. Huffstutler 12/15/2016 at 9:33 AM

@13 Julia H. I am glad that you are fine and that the other driver was civil. There are a couple problems including sometimes these stop signs being small and hidden by trees. But, at the same time, everyone should be alert with every intersection they approach looking for stop signs – especially in residential areas. And no, a “rolling stop” does not count since a STOP sign is not a Yield sign.

Tim H 12/15/2016 at 11:04 AM

I would like to see no parking for a car length at all corners. Parked cars distract a driver from seeing the stop sign and obscures the view as drivers enter the intersection.

crd 12/15/2016 at 11:42 AM

@17 I totally agree. I have a blind corner at 26th St. and have come way too close to being wiped out several times recently. My usual cure is to call the police non-emergency number at 646-5100. I think the rule is 20′ from the intersection.

@13 Julia glad you are okay.