8th annual Virginia People’s Assembly for Jobs, Peace & Justice to convene April 23 in Richmond
Progressive activists from around Virginia will converge on Richmond April 23 for the 2016 annual Virginia People’s Assembly for Jobs, Peace & Justice. The gathering will take place from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church, 1720 Mechanicsville Turnpike, Richmond, VA 23223. Doors open for registration at 8 a.m.
Now in its eighth year, the Virginia Peoples Assembly is comprised of union members, community activists, prison/prisoner advocates, disability rights activists, women’s rights activists, immigrants, the LGBTQ community, students, antiwar organizers, veterans and more.
The VPA is a unique opportunity for those working for justice in Virginia to network, strategize and collaborate in advance of the new year’s legislative session and beyond.
This year’s event features three plenary sessions:
- “Introductions: Who’s here and who’s doing what” – Organizations endorsing the VPA introduce themselves and explain their work.
- “Unified Resistance: Building solidarity among communities under attack”
– Representatives of a range of causes and communities under attack discuss ways to build links and solidarity between their struggles.
- “Beyond the Horse Race: Building the progressive movement in an election year”
– A range of perspectives on how to approach movement-building in a presidential election year.
Between those sessions will be workshops on issues suggested by the endorsing organizations. Workshops will be posted on the VPA website as they are scheduled.
The VPA is open to everyone who supports the demands for “Jobs, Peace & Justice.” The suggested donation is $10 – more if you have it, less if you don’t. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Endorsing individuals and organizations may host workshops, display literature and submit resolutions to be voted on at the end of the third plenary (general) session.
Lunch, dinner and all-day coffee and tea will be provided. Childcare will be available. The location is wheelchair-accessible.
For more information, to endorse or to volunteer, email: email@example.com or call 804-728-0222 or 804-644-5834. The latest information is posted at: www.vapeoplesassembly.org.