Nicole Kappatos at From the Archives has posted a great set of old street signs from around the city, including this one from 1949:
04-01-1949 (cutline): Farewell to Lester Street–The name Lester Street has given way to East Main Street, except for the old side street marking (arrow). Lester Street formerly was an eight-block extension of East Main to Orleans Street. Short Main Street, at the foot of Libby Hill, was changed to Libby Hill Terrace to avoid confusion. The changes were made under an ordinance adopted Dec. 27, 1948.
— ∮∮∮ —