A sort of gathering was held at the Powhatan Community Center in Fulton early Wednesday evening. Somebody, maybe from the city, put a nice set of posters on stands at the front of the room, showing what might happen along Main Street and Dock Street. There were also consultants, but I honestly wasn’t in the mood for all that.
There was a set of documents on a table (grabbed and scanned below). There was also a feedback questionnaire page, which said that an online version of the feedback questionnaire will be available online HERE at some point.
Perhaps the most arresting sentence? East Main Street will be closed January 2017 to August 2017.
This project’s primary purpose is to provide a better transportation network to accommodate current and future traffic volumes in the rapidly developing east end area of the city, as well as improve pedestrian and bicycle access to the city’s riverfront, public transit, public parking, and streetscape.
- Dock Street will be relocated from Pear Street to Peebles Street with a roundabout at the Main Street intersection.
- East Main Street will be widened to include parking, sidewalk, bike lanes, landscaping, and BRT bus pullouts.
- The intersection at Main Street and Nicholson Street will be evaluated to determine if a signal or roundabout is needed.
- Sidewalk and landscaping will be added along Nicholson Street and extend to the railroad bridge.
- Closure of Water Street between Nicholson Street to Ash Street.