City residents and business owners will have an opportunity to view the proposed concept design for the East Main Street/Relocated Dock Street Project at a public meeting on Wednesday, March 23 from 6:00 – 8:00 PM at the Powhatan Community Center (5051 Northampton Street)
From the press release:
The project will provide a better transportation network in the rapidly developing east end area of the City and increase pedestrian and bicycle access to the City’s riverfront, public transit, public parking and streetscape.
The scope of the project includes:
- Relocating Dock Street from Pear Street to Peebles Street with a roundabout at the Main Street intersection;
- Widening East Main Street from the proposed roundabout to Gilles Creek to include parking, bike lanes, landscaping, and Bus Rapid Transit pullouts;
- Evaluate the Main Street and Nicholson Street intersection to determine if a traffic signal or roundabout is needed;
- Adding sidewalk and landscaping along Nicholson Street to the railroad bridge;
- Closure of Water Street between Nicholson and Ash streets.
The project will build on a significant number of plans and projects that are currently underway or have already been approved for the area, such as Stone Brewing Company, Pulse-Bus Rapid Transit and the Virginia Capital Trail.
Representatives from the Department of Public Works and the design firm of Whitman, Requardt & Associates, LLP will be available during this public meeting to answer questions. Attendees also will have an opportunity to fill out comment cards.