Here’s an update on the status of the Friends of Chimborazo Park (FofCP)…
Meetings were held on 2/3 and 2/24. The members of the Friends of Chimborazo Park each submitted 3 items that they felt needed to be addressed in Chimborazo Park as soon as possible. The top 3 items are:
- Clear the overlook hillside of the scrub trees
- Sidewalk and pothole repair
- Crosswalks at N 32nd, Chimborazo and N 36th
FofCP discussed assisting the City in preparing for the RVA East End Festival in May by organizing a community clean up day. A date has not yet been specified for the clean up but the weekend before the event was suggested.
In addition, representatives from FofCP will attend a meeting on Wednesday, March 16, with Dr. Cynthia Newbille, Parks and Rec, and the Richmond Symphony in hopes of assisting with the RVA East End Festival in May.
The following long-term projects were also discussed:
- Replant the cleared overlook
- Clear the cobblestone paths and stairs in lower Chimborazo
- Explore the possibility of a weekly or monthly Farmers Market
- Elevated crosswalks at N 32nd, Chimborazo andN N 36th with signs and lights
- Exercise equipment
- Movie nights during the summer
- Removal of the alcohol ban for special events
- Get an urban planner to develop a 10 year plan for the park (we were thinking of trying to get a VCU student to do it, or have a competition with a $ prize).
- Work with the City and Police to slow and reduce through traffic on E Broad
- Try to acquire the eastern opening of the Church Hill train tunnel and bring it into the park (it is our understanding that this land is privately owned).
- Integrate the paths below Chimborazo into the park system and upgrade them for hiking, trail running, mountain biking, and connection to Stone Brewing, Triple Cross Brewery, the proposed Gillies Gilles Creek pedestrian path and the Cap Trail.
- Replace the fountain that was removed in the 1950s.
The next FofCP meeting will be held on Wednesday, 4/6, at 7:30 pm at the Chimborazo Park House located at 3000 East Grace Street. Everyone is welcome to attend!