Founded in 1867, the Cedar Street Baptist Church of God is the seventh oldest Baptist Church in the City of Richmond. Perhaps the most prominent building in Union Hill, the old church building at 24th and Cedar Streets dates to the early 1890s, and originally housed the Union Station Methodist Church.
In 1867, 12 members of the Ebenezer Baptist Church came together to form the Shiloh Baptist Mission. The mission later changed its name to Cedar Street Baptist Church because it was located on Cedar Street (though a different Cedar Street than the current location).
In 1918, under Rev. James H. Roots, Sr.’s leadership, the congregation moved from Cedar Street to 1001 Mosby Street. A small congregation at the time, the church was only able to build a concrete basement and dream about the church building that would follow.
When Union Station Methodist Church merged with Monument Methodist Church in 1951, became Reveille Methodist Church, and moved to 4200 West Cary Street, Cedar Street Baptist Church of God was able to purchase the building at 24th and N Streets for $45,000.
The Union Station Methodist Church began as a congregation in the 1840s in a new building at 812 North 25th Street. A decade or so later, they moved to another new building at Cedar and 24th Street. This building was demolished in the 1890s and the current building was erected.
At some point, Pleasant Street coming up the hill from Marshall Street and blocks of N Street west of 28th Street were renamed Cedar Street, to once again place Cedar Street Baptist Church on Cedar Street.
The congregation later built the 1.25 million-dollar sanctuary at 23rd and Cedar Street that the church has occupied since October 1980, while the older section sits unused “awaiting restoration”.